Employment issue - regarding salary.

Hi,
Really sorry this is my first post and I am after free advice!
I work for a large pub company and have done so for 12 years with my wife as joint managers.

We have been paid, as is expected a "joint salary" (2005 £50,000pa approx) and we have always been happy about this.
However in 2005 my wife left the company for another job (amicably) and I stayed running the pub as a single manager.

I was aware that I would receive a salary increase as a single manager.
Whilst this is not written in stone somewhere, it is generally known that single managers get paid more than one manager in a joint management role.

As it was, my salary increased by over £8000pa (£33,500) and as you can imagine I was delighted. Especially as this compensated for the loss of salary my wife took when she got her new job.

Approx 9 months later my wife came back to the company and our salaries reverted back to what they were originally before my wife left.
After several years and annual salary increases our current salary is over £54,000.

However now my wife and I have split up (pending divorce) and she has moved to another pub.

I have recently had a meeting to discuss my options with my area manager and a member of the personnel department present.

I was offered two different pubs that will trade at below half of what my current business trades at and I am not prepared to move to a smaller business.

Another option offered was for me to be a holding manager until they find a replacement and I select a place to go to?

My other option is to stay at my present pub as a single pub manager but to stay on the present salary (£27000pa half of the joint salary).

To be honest I havn't lost out on anything but I feel that maybe he is trying to protect his own budget by not giving me a salary increase.

Is it reasonable for me to expect that I should return to the salary that I was on before as a single manager in the same business. (Without the annual salary rises) Or is there a point of law that says they can offer me nothing more.

I really want to seek professional advice but do not want to waste my money on an employment lawyer if I have no rights at all and should not pursue this.

I would appreciate frank advice as I have to delay them for an answer.... I was supposed to call him back today! But will hopefully get it pushed back to mon or tues if poss.

Best wishes
Jack

ps sorry its so long winded!

Comments

• SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Are you and employee of the brewery / pub chain? If so you should have a contract, and the contract should state salary.

It sounds like in the past when you have gone down to one person running the place, ir you, you have had a unwritten agreement regarding wages (the 33k).

However times are different now and I think they are within their rights to, in these new set of circumstances, offer a new deal.

You probably will get some advice about your old arrangements forming part now out part of your contract, but I don't think apply as above.

Good luck.

Bozo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family