Hm Forces Spouse Nat.ins. Credits

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
9 replies 829 views
jake+1jake+1 Forumite
13 Posts
My wife is 60 next year and has got 12 years home responsibilities protection and will have 15 qualifying years making 27 years total,so 3 years short of the required 30. When we first got married she spent 2 years in Germany with me as ' an Army wife'. Someone told us they thought there might be nat.ins.credits for wives of HM forces personnel when posted abroad. When my wife phoned up for a pension forecast she did ask about it but the person she spoke to did'nt know anything but would find out and let her know,but she has heard nothing. Before she pays the 3 years shortfall I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these credits or is'nt there such a thing ? Thanks.

Replies

• EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basis for getting HRP credits is receiving child benefit. Did that apply?
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Ian_WIan_W Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As your wife couldn't have paid NI in employment abroad [AFAIK] giving credit for it would be sensible - but Govt Depts as I'm sure you know don't allows do "sensible". On the other hand if she didn't work and pay here she wouldn't have been credited with that time except for HRP.

TPAS is an independent advisory service who should be able to give you a speedy answer if you ask them.
  • EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is she paying for the 3 years under the new concession allowing an additional 6 years to be purchased? If so, I don't think she can get them until next year.
  • Edinvestor, how can she pay for them under the new concession if it hasn't yet been introduced.? Can we pay now and get the years later? At this years's rate, perhaps?
  • The criteria for being able to pay for an extra six years are as follows:

1: Must reach state pension age between 6 April 2008 and 5 April 2015

2: Must already have 20 qualifying years including HRP.

The cost of buying up to six more years from 1975 onwards is going to be £626.60 per year. Years in which women were entitled to pay Married Women's Election won't be available.

You can't buy these years before this April.

By the way, if she has three years available from 1996 onwards she could make up those shortfalls up before April at lower cost.
  • jake+1jake+1 Forumite
    13 Posts
    Thanks to all who posted. EdInvester / jancee -- The 12 years HRP is from 1978 when it first started until 1990 when our youngest reached 16. We had no children in the first 2 years of marriage that we spent in Germany. My wife was unable to work so did not pay any N.I. I'ts just this concession or credit that may be available for these 2 years that we're wondering about, or is it just wishful thinking ?!? It seems that any shortfall does have to be paid by April to get the current lower rate. Ian W
    I've E-Mailed TPAS and they said we should get a reply within 15 days . Thanks for that.
  • jake+1 wrote: »
    Thanks to all who posted. EdInvester / jancee -- The 12 years HRP is from 1978 when it first started until 1990 when our youngest reached 16. We had no children in the first 2 years of marriage that we spent in Germany. My wife was unable to work so did not pay any N.I. I'ts just this concession or credit that may be available for these 2 years that we're wondering about, or is it just wishful thinking ?!? It seems that any shortfall does have to be paid by April to get the current lower rate. Ian W
    I've E-Mailed TPAS and they said we should get a reply within 15 days . Thanks for that.

If your wife has shortfalls in 1975/76 and 76/78 then they would come under the new rules from April, see my previous post for the criteria. If she has shortfalls from 1996 onwards then you could buy two years at the current rates. It doesn't matter which years you buy.
  • EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edinvestor, how can she pay for them under the new concession if it hasn't yet been introduced.?

It's been announced, so you can use it as the basis for calculation, but it won't be implemented until next year, at the same time as the price of the years goes up.
    Can we pay now and get the years later? At this years's rate, perhaps?

No.

But if there are any other missing years from 1997-date that you want to buy, you can pay for them now at the lower rate.
  • Thanks, edinvestor, done that last year. Just waiting for the rest!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals