We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Preserving Pan recommendations please

Hi - I picked up an aluminium preserving pan at a boot sale yesterday for a pound. My OH says it is aluminium - not sure how he can tell. It is made by Swan. Is there anything you shouldn't cook in an aluminium pan? I understand it can be reactive. Thanks

Comments

  • I know tomatoes are a no-no in an aluminium pan but can't remember why. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a mo to answer your query further.

    PS. Nice Chef!!
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • lbt_2
    lbt_2 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Hi

    I am thinking of buying the Lakeland preserving pan (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/stainless-steel-preserving-pan/F/keyword/preserving+pan/product/3822) and I just wondered if any of you OS pros would recommend it.

    If you have another one that has been really good for you, please let me know. At the moment I am using my steamer base, and it is good but when I made marmalade the other day I was very aware (at rolling boiling point) that I could do with a bigger pan!

    Would love to know if anyone has any thoughts.

    Also, thanks to thriftlady for getting me started on my preserve making :) I have now made onion marmalade, seville orange marmalade, Bramley lemon curd, apple butter and Hearty Ale chutney .... I need more jars - I have another recipe from Penny that I am desperate to try :D

    Thanks :)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 26,104 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I got my second hand aluminium one for £3.00 from help the aged in 1998. Does the job but I am a jammer not a pickler.

    I'd love one of them (but I would not overfill it like they have :rotfl:)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

    Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.