L&G Global (60:40) Index ?

Good evening...

We have a money purchase pension scheme running in work. When I signed up to this pension we were given several investment types to choose from (all various L&G ones). Given that I had no clue of what these types were at the time (and still don't) I vaguely remember ticking a box, as most people did, to let them decide.

Having looked at my pension statement online in work a couple of days ago I noticed that the contributions being paid by myself and my employer (5% + 5%) are being invested in the L&G Global (60:40) Index....To keep this post simple, whats this all about? I know nothing about pensions but I'm keen to know where my money is going and if I'm wasting my time with this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

J :cool:

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    60:40 means it invests 60% in UK and 40% elsewhere in the Globe.

http://lt.morningstar.com/lc4pd0x6ai/snapshotpdf/default.aspx?SecurityToken=VAUSA05RQ8]9]1]SAGBR$$PSA_160

Thats the fund factsheet if you want to have a read.

It seems to do well against its Index when growing but over 2008 lost 25% (other funds lost a lot more though) compared to 7% in the index. Would suggest its a higher risk fund (although saying that it does invest 20% in financial services *doh* so I would imagine thats why!)

Not sure what else I can comment on... over to you Dunston (and Ed if you're about)
  • J_Devon
    J_Devon Posts: 93 Forumite
    Ah fantastic, thanks for link Lokolo. It seems that it's invested in a large amount of different sectors & services etc. I assume thats a good thing? Eggs in one basket and all that...?
  • Lokolo
    Yes that is true. Although I think putting 60% in UK is quite risky! (but it does depend on risk profile).
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its a simple fund designed for simple investing over the long term. It wont be the best, it wont be the worst. Its medium/high risk in isolation but the overall risk will depend on the term. (5 years to go retirement and its high high risk. 50 years and its lower)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • J_Devon
    Thanks dunstoneh...I'm 27 so have 41 years until retirement so I guess this is in my favour.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you're interested in paying once a year attention to the investments you can probably do better. If you want to ignore it, this is a decent way to go. If you can handle ups and downs it wouldn't be a bad idea to have say 20% emerging markets as well as this one.
  • J_Devon
    Yeah I plan to totally ignore it to be honest. I only really checked as we received an email in work saying a statement was available if we wanted to see it, so I thought I would.

Obviously given the current economic climate, its worth less now than what I've paid into it, but given its over 40 years until I retire, I'm not worried (yet).
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Honest is good in this case - means you'll get something suitable. What you have is fine for someone who will mostly ignore it.
  • Lokolo wrote: »
    It seems to do well against its Index when growing but over 2008 lost 25% (other funds lost a lot more though) compared to 7% in the index. Would suggest its a higher risk fund (although saying that it does invest 20% in financial services *doh* so I would imagine thats why!)
    quote]

I don't quite understand how an indexed fund could drop in value 18% more than the indexes it is following - am I missing something?
  • Lokolo
    Picked the wrong companies in the FTSE? If you see what I said later on, a lot of the investments were in the banking and finance sector, which I would assume is more than the FTSE. So if the FTSE had consisted of 10% finance, but the fund consisted of 20%, then the fund would lose more value if the financial sector collapsed (whcih it did)

(this was a little guess but its the only thing I can think of!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure