Mortgage under 25,000

Options
Hi
My discount period with my Building Soc has just ended. I owe just under £25,000 and have 11 years to pay. My B.S. tells me there are no remortgage offers for this amount. I would prefer to pay it all off but only have about £7,000 spare. Any ideas what I should do - or if this is true?

Comments

• co123456
    co123456 Posts: 368 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Similar position to me (in June this year). Because of my small debt, I don't think anyone will want to offer a mortgage at a rate I would find acceptable.
    Have you considered stoozing? Works for me at the moment.
  • flutel1
    Options
    Is this taking out £ on a credit card? I have been considering this. I have a small (£1,500) on a card at the mo which I plan to pay off after the free period. Is the idea - keep the mortgage, pay off £7,000, borrow a chunk on a card and pay that in whilst paying min payments on the card in the interest free period and then getting another card?
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you considered getting a mortgage for more than you need, but will accept lump sum overpayments and just paying off the lump sum after the remortgage completes?
  • StuartGMC
    StuartGMC Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Options
    Offset may work - typically £30k, but you just pay back in the £5k not needed, you can offset the £7k then rapidly pay down the rest remaining?

Do include current a/c as it wil be a valuable % of mortgage owing too; use credit card for everything then pay off in full at end of month etc
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take a look at the credit card board for stoozing and the mortgage board for ideas from mortgage advisers on a suggested way forward.
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • andy-1_3
    Options
    Maybe you can try this site zero-mortgage.info. that site provides information about mortgage services maybe you can find the right one. take a look. :beer:
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    andy-1 :spam:mer all there web sites posted are owned by same person, signature reported too
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We're going to have the same problem in May when our fixed rate ends (fixed at 4.99%) In May we will owe about £18K. I rang up the ybs and said that we would then go on to svr which is 4.99%. Altough on the same rate, we will actually be better off as we will be able to make unlimited overpayments (restricted to 10% overparments at the moment)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure