Some basic advice from an ex CAB counseller

Options

Comments

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who or what is Simy ???

This question was asked but I didn't see a reply. Did Mortgage-Master change name from Simy?
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • intraaction
    Options
    thanks for this post

• TheDebtCollector
    Options
    Well, I thought I would chip in and say a few things...

To be honest, it is better for the "debtor" to try and arrange a repayment plan with the creditors themselves than going through a "Debt Management Company", saying that, CCCS are advisable only because they do not charge the debtors for their services.

Unfortunately though, which I understand, there are creditors out there that will not listen to the "debtors" problems and will demand an amount far beyond the reach of the "debtor".

I would like to think that I am one of the many "collectors" out there that are willing to listen and more or less accept any offer of repayment put forward by the "debtor". (Excuse the " " but debtor is what we call you all, no disrespect)

Feel free to put forward any questions on the companies you deal with and I will be more than willing to aid and assist, or even tell you the correct things to say to them on the phone.

Thank You All.
  • mrslawrence2003
    Options
    Well, I thought I would chip in and say a few things...

To be honest, it is better for the "debtor" to try and arrange a repayment plan with the creditors themselves than going through a "Debt Management Company", saying that, CCCS are advisable only because they do not charge the debtors for their services.

Unfortunately though, which I understand, there are creditors out there that will not listen to the "debtors" problems and will demand an amount far beyond the reach of the "debtor".

I would like to think that I am one of the many "collectors" out there that are willing to listen and more or less accept any offer of repayment put forward by the "debtor". (Excuse the " " but debtor is what we call you all, no disrespect)

Feel free to put forward any questions on the companies you deal with and I will be more than willing to aid and assist, or even tell you the correct things to say to them on the phone.

Thank You All.

i would like to know, why is it when i call and say 'i've lost my job due to ill health and i'm struggling to live right now and altho my husband is supporting me it's not enough to cover everything but i want to be responsible and keep up with my payments etc but i dont think i can for the next couple of months until i'm back in work - what can you do to assist me in the short term' they do everything they can to make life as hard as possible - eg block credit cards without telling me etc etc?

it seems to me that it is better to be irresponsible and turn around and just say ' well i can't pay so you can whistle for your money' which surely cant be right?
    carve your name in red. the silver slipping and slicing. rose petals blossom and fall. soul steals away.

• AnnieP_3
    Options
    gibby wrote:
    the CAB are vital and do a great job

but in newcastle its almost impossible to ring them or get to see them.

they use the 0870 numbers and you never get connected.

the only way I ahve got friends into see them is to go to an office and sit there until you are seen - 5 hours in one case.

the gov really need to put some money into the CAB as the ppl who really need it most are neing neglected.

also lets employ some ppl as the volunteeers really should be paid

G

Hi there,
    I worked for the Citizens Advice Bureau for over 10 years in Basildon Essex. I frequently had to deal with irrate clients in the waiting room, moaning about how long they had to sit there.
    Please realize that the majority of advisors are voluteers, which a lot of people don't realise means they DON'T get paid!! They give their time for free to help you, the public. They spend more time training and going on courses, all to help you.
    Please remember you are getting free advice, so be patient, or if your query isn't that important that day, go back another day when they aren't so busy. Also remember that if you need 5 minutes or an hour or more, you will be given that time, which means that everybody else in the waiting room will have to wait longer because YOU need more time.
    There, I have had my moan, and I am sorry if I have upset anyone, but it had to be said.
    AnniP
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AnnieP - I remember this from when I was a debt counsellor - although at my CAB people came in for initial advice and depending on the severity of their debt they were then given an appointment for either myself or one of my colleagues.

On days when I just managed whatever came through the door - none of it was ever a 5 minute query.

I recall the top 3 queries - (not in any particular order) were

Debt

Housing and tenancy agreements

Benefits and CSA

I doubt that has changed since I left.

All of these take a lot of research, phone calls in some cases, and much sorting out of paperwork. I recall, on more than one occasion, dealing with people who came in with a carrier bag - and just tipped it over the table. Out would fall all their debt problems - much of which were UNOPENED letters from creditors dating back weeks.

This does not get sorted in one visit - but it's certainly a start. But as for those people left in the waiting room - yes it IS frustrating - especially if there is no appointment system - but unfortunately CAB are swamped and never have enough advisors - as Annie pointed out they are volunteers - and they don't just waltz in off the street and start work.

There is a lot of training.

But it is extremely rewarding as well. You can't put a price on that feeling when someone you first met many months ago, as desperate, tearful and even suicidal, walks back through the door to say just thank you for all you have done for them and helped them to achieve.

I would urge anyone with time to spare to consider offering a few hours a week to CAB.
  • Arwen
    Arwen Posts: 171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a Debt Advisor who works for a Local Authority. I give free advice and agree with the CAB poster that all we are there to do is give you choices, we are not there to run your life for you.

Some people come to us and want us to deal with specific things eg Mortgage arrears, Rent arrears etc. We will look at the whole financial picture, and advise you on maxing your Income, cutting down on exp and paying priority debts etc. We will explain the diff, as in if it risks your home or your freedom etc, it must be paid.

Unfortunately some people think the collector from their CC co that phones 10 times a day is the priority......:confused: .

At the end of the day, you don't have to take our advice, but we do get annoyed when we see that people are going to get themselves in a worse situation than they are now, and they don't realise it.

Yep, we have advised on remortgaging (in very limited circs) but ONLY when the person is willing to cut up those damn credit cards.Often loathe to, as you are often paying a 5/7 year debt over 20 odd-and the interest is scary.......
    Debts :Paypal £1981.32
    Monzo Loan £4278.16
    Virgin CC £2137 0% until Dec 23
    HSBC £5471.01 0% until Feb 2025
    Emergency pot £404.47/2500
    1p Savings Challenge £1.45/660
    52 week Savings: £22.00/1400

• fedupwithbanks_2
    Options
    Could anyone maybe list the companies they have been successful with in obtaining full and final settelements and the percentages they accepted, it may help the rest of us so we have an idea of how much they are likely to settle for. Each case is different I know, but it may give a bit of courage if we know that XYZ company have settled for X% in the past so we know what to expect? :confused:
  • PatMillerUK1
    Options
    What do you do when.....?

My son took out finance on a car when he was earning a good salary after being sent abroad to work. He chose an expensive make and model, but his intentions were honest. However now the job has changed, his salary has been reduced, and his wife of eight years has told him she wants a divorce leaving him in the dreadful position of becoming an absent father to his two years old son.

His financial situation is dire and he would like to a) give the car back and pay no more, b) have them stop the interest at least c) go to sleep and wake up when it's all over!

The finance company say he has to sell the car for what he can get and refinance the balance. Not helpful to him who now needs as much of his salary - whatever its going to be - a new computer system being installed means on his return to UK next week he wont know what his salary is, or whether he will in fact get any. It does happen! It's coming from the government!

Some guidance and hope would be appreciated.
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I think the CAB is a great organisation, I did visit them a few years ago, more for legal advice but with a bit of monetery advice thrown in. This wasnt a fault of mine, but caused by an ex partner who entered a trust deed, when if he had went to CAB wouldnt have caused the problems he did for me, he could have managed and cut his debts without having to pay a percentage. Only good things to say about CAB
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills