We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Government Gateway notification

Options
I'm confused - I registered with Government Gateway a few years ago, and I've been using it since, no problem.

But five minutes ago I got an email through thanking me for registering with Government Gateway, and going on about activation etc.

Is it an error in their system? Has anyone else had this?

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you used a different service recently? As there don't appear to be any reported problems.

Unlikely to be ID theft ..... if they didn't vary the Email address.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • swanny65
    swanny65 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Almost certainly a fake email after your identity etc
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    That's the thing, it didn't look like a phishing email (no problem with the header, and my email provider didn't pick up on dodgy links, which it usually would do). And if it was identity theft, they weren't very clever getting it sent to my own e-mail address - and the one it came to gets almost no spam, because I only use it for official type stuff, never shopping. It doesn't ask me to go to a website and enter my details.

The email looks and reads exactly like the proper government gateway notification, which is why I thought maybe they had a glitch in their system and sent e-mails to the wrong people.

Really bizarre. I haven't been to the government gateway since I sorted out my tax a few weeks ago.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on things.
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    I had all sorts of problems with the Government Gateway this year.

My tax return got "stuck" after I submitted it and would not go through to them, it took about two months until it was sorted out and I had to resend it. During this time I got 2 odd e-mails saying they had received an online submission from me, but I had not sent anything else and the tax return had definitely not gone through.

I think the whole system is very dodgy.
  • mushtiff
    mushtiff Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. Using the Government Gateway is incredibly frustrating. Main problem for me has been actually getting access. I thought it was the one entrance to all online government services. Except I've had to register separately 3 times to use a) tax b) pension forecast and c) blood donor appointments. The only section I can make work properly is booking blood donor appts. I've had several conversations with the (friendly) helpdesk, and been sent half a dozen letters giving me new IDs and usernames and complicated passwords, but still can't get to the services I want, so I've just given up. Why can't I do tax and pensions with the same ID etc as for the blood service? Why is the Gateway so user unfriendly and inefficient when other big companies (with the exception of Tesco Finance :mad:) can offer quick, easy, efficient sites which are a pleasure to use?
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Anyone else get one of these? After a 10 - 14 day wait I got he following email. I think it translates into "we have a box un ticked at one of two tax offices. Sort it out and you can try again."
    With self evidently no chance of using the on-line system before 31/01/09. .I've sent the figures by snail mail, as they asked when I asked "what do I do if there is something that won't go in through the on-line system?". [I had a situation a few years ago where I could not get the PAYE referance on a P60 to be accepted.]
    Anyone know how long it is before 07/08 is turned off on the on-line system ready for 08/09?

Dear Sir/ Madam

Thank you for registering for the Internet Service for Self Assessment.
    The User ID / Activation Pin has not been issued, this may be as a
    result of a change of circumstances, which may require a change to the
    details we hold at the Tax Office.

The Personal Representative name and address details may need to be
    updated with the Tax Office or the Acting in Capacity details may need
    to be removed from the file.

I would be grateful if you would contact the Tax Office who will be able
    to amend any details for you.

Once this has been done wait 72 hours for our systems to update then
    follow the instructions below.

If the request was for an Activation Pin, using the user ID obtained
    online and the password you chose at Registration log back onto the
    Government Gateway www.gateway.gov.uk
    On the services list click on Activate, then select a new activation
    pin.

The Activation pin will be issued within 7 days: on receipt please
    activate the service within 28 days.

If the request was for the re-issue of the User ID or a new password,
    you can generate a new one by going to the HM Revenue & Customs website
    www.hmrc.gov.uk , and select the service you registered for under the
    `Do it online¿ banner on the left hand side of the page. You then need
    to select `Lost User ID¿ or ¿ Lost password¿.

A replacement User ID or Password will then be issued within 7 days.

If you no longer have your online User Id and Password please ring the
    Online Services Helpdesk on 0845 60 55 999 explaining the situation, our
    customer advisor will inform you of what action needs to be taken.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

For security reasons specific personal data may have been removed from
    this email.

Regards

Online Services Helpdesk
  • 5fEtsd9Hs1LOR3SQftY9
    Options
    mushtiff wrote: »
    I agree. Using the Government Gateway is incredibly frustrating. Main problem for me has been actually getting access.

I agree. It seems a complete joke - must have Gordon Clowns paws on it. I have little problem with any other websites including various financial services - but for me this one is, in the words of Clarke, not fit for purpose.
    5f....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family