I knew it, i've been overpaid

Options
I've posted a few times recently, trying to work out what im going to be entitled to as im returning to work full time so knew my benefits would be cut.

I informed my local council in Dec that i was returning to work full time in Jan, sent in all the info i had to and didnt hear back from them.

13th Jan - My council tax was now 2 weeks late and i hadn't recieved an update on my benefits so i paid my normal amount of £12

16th Jan - they paid me my normal £306 housing benefit (what i was getting a fortnight when i was part time). I knew this was an overpayment so it hasn't been given to my landlord.

Yesterday i recieved my updated entitlement - council tax benefit is £18 per week and housing benefit is £17 per week.

I phoned them to ask about the overpayment money and what can i do to give it back, do i send a cheque in etc? Nope, cant do that, they will recopver it from my weekly entitlement, so will be taking £16 per week from my benefit so i will get £2 per fortnight :rotfl:

They have overpaid my HB by £540 as apparently they couldn't stop the payments coming into my account - i have another payment due on Mon which they cant stop, even though they have know since Dec?

Now, the council tax overpayment i dont understand. I think my council tax is roughly £75pm after my single occupancy discount, so i know i owe the difference of £63 as i only paid the normal £12 this month. Yet they have worked it out to be £200. They have calculated it until March this year but i dont pay council tax in Feb or March?

My tax credits haven't been taken into account yet as im waiting on my new award letter, so there will be more of an overpayment once they get this.

I know that i've been overpaid HB but cant work out the CT as surely i should just pay the £63 difference? Cant work out how they have calcultaed it until March?

Im going to go in and see them today and get them to explain to me.

GM
Lightbulb moment Dec 2005 - debt £23700

June 2010 - £17984.21

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Im going to go in and see them today and get them to explain to me.

GM
    Let us know what they say if you need further help.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • donnalove
    donnalove Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    when you are on council tax benifit they work it out on a weekly bassis ie 52 weeks so you pay it weekly not over ten months. because your benifit is paid weekly you still now have the remaining weeks to make up so how ever many weeks are left between when you stopped claiming are added together, and that is what you have to pay.
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know its a pain when they take a long time to work out benefits but if it was me I would put the over payment straight onto my rent and then when I was getting less housing benefit you won't feel the pinch as much cause all this money has gone on your rent.
  • Glittermonkey
    Options
    I didn't get to see anyone at the council office as it was so busy.

I've just go through to them and they explained it was worked out over 12 months, even though we only pay over 10 months - i didnt know thats how it was worked out.

The council tax department are sending me a letter, so will wait for that and see what it says.

As for the housing benefit, she said i cant give the money back as they are taking it out of my £17 per week entitlement but once they get my tax credit letter, then i wont be entitled to that anymore. It will all be recalculated and i should get a letter by the end of Feb!! And, then i can pay them back!

Its crazy, i owe them £200 and they want it asap, yet im offering them their £600 back and they dont want to take it yet.

dawnydee - Its not worth me putting it towards my rent as im not entitled to any benefit anymore so would just have to find the money anyway, so will stick it in my empty savigns account until they ask for it.
    Lightbulb moment Dec 2005 - debt £23700

June 2010 - £17984.21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family