🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Remortgage

Options
Hi

I am currently in a 10 years fixed rate mortgage of 5.45% with 7 years to run on that deal. I have 19 years of the mortgage left to pay.

Within this mortgage I can change the mortgage after five years with no penalties, or just stay with the mortgage at the fixed rate.

However, there is a possibility, as yet to be confirmed, for a certain period, within the next couple of months, I will have a period where I can change lenders with no cost to me, they are having a period of no charge to take some mortgages off their books.

I am also aware of a deal that may be coming up, a fixed rate for five years at 4.49%.

My thoughts were to change to the new deal, but instead of enjoying the lower payments, I will keep the payments around the same figure I am now paying but lower the number of years to pay the mortgage.

With rough figures, I think it should take the mortgage length down by two years, to 17 years.

Of course I would look for another fixed deal towards the end of the five year fixed deal.

I forgot to say, with the new deal, all legal costs etc wold be covered, so there would be no costs to me.

Cost wise, I thinks it is a good idea, I just wondered what other people thought.

Thanks

Martin
Been there, done that, now I want to do it cheaper!!

Comments

• tbrain
    tbrain Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a win win! Out of interest, which lender is this?
  • mealmond
    mealmond Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    I would rather not say who the new mortgage would be with yet, the deal is not official yet, I heard through a friend of a friend.

I just thought rather than enjoy lower payments, as I am comfortable with the present payments, just lower the term.
    Been there, done that, now I want to do it cheaper!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport