🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Shall I Pay Off Mortgage Or Unsecured Loan??

Options
Hi there

I have a Northern Rock Together mortgage. It was a 120% mortgage - 95,000 mortgage and 25,000 unsecured loan. I was fortunate enough to be given £20,000 from my parents and overpaid. They automatically apportioned £14,500 to the mortgage and 4,500 to the unsecured loan. Would it be better to pay the whole £19,000 off the unsecured loan? I am sure I asked them to do that but they ignored me. They now say I can change it to pay all off the loan. Any advice on the best way forward please?

Comments

• feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    What is yr position at the moment, are you on a fixed rate, if yr out of yr deal are you looking to remortgage away from NR? If so how much has yr property dropped in value since it was valued at 100k?
  • Totster
    Options
    I am staying with Northern Rock as my property has gone down in value. I just need to know if i would be best paying the £19,000 off the mortgage or unsecured loan. They are both the same interst rate a variable rate of 5.33%. I personally think its best paid off the unsecure loan but they said they just apportion it to each mort n loan. What do you think? I said i would seek financial advise n ring back tomorrow.
  • feisty1
    Options
    It makes no difference if yr staying there and they're both on the same rate. When you have unsecured borrowing with NR in the form of a Together mortgage, if you mortgage away from NR and leave yr unsecured there, 8% is added to the svr, for example if u could move yr mortgage now........ on the unsecured you'd be paying 13.33%.......
  • mick_1967
    Options
    I've started to overpay and asked specifically to offset the overpayments to the unsecured part. I wasn't 100% sure and thought this was best course of action to take. Mortg £70K loan £8k house value £78k
  • Totster
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys
  • feisty1
    Options
    mick 1967 It makes no difference which part you overpay as yr on the same rates, the calculations of what should be allocated where can be done on exit..........keep it simple!!
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Although it's the same moneywise, I'd find it easier to think of only having a single mortgage loan payment so I would pay off the unsecured loan.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• feisty1
    Options
    [quote=lilac_lady;17695645]Although it's the same moneywise, I'd find it easier to think of only having a single mortgage loan payment so I would pay off the unsecured loan.[/quote]

You do only have one mortgage payment and one mortgage account number on a Together Mortgage....the split is done on paper
  • Nonshy
    Nonshy Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    Feisty is correct... makes no difference... except if do need funds back quickly then would have to sign credit agreement again.

So imo... just leave it apportioned
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    Although it's the same moneywise, I'd find it easier to think of only having a single mortgage loan payment so I would pay off the unsecured loan.

That would be my gut reaction too.

However, the loan is unsecured, so if the borrower needed to move it might be better to have a lower secured element, as new deals at higher loan to values are more difficult
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport