Expat. Can I get a mortage?

Options
Hi I'm a UK expat living in the Middle East and want to buy a property back home for my son. Can I get one? I'm paid in the local currency and have a good credit rating. I can make a 15% deposit. I don't have a mortgage currently so this will be a first time purchase dor me. I have UK bank accounts.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it can be done.

My latest ex-pat deal is for someone in Bermuda! - earning tax free income! :)

Now there may be some complications depending on the country you are in - had some problems with Libya et al, with some lenders.

As long as your income can support the mortgage you do stand a chance of finding a mortgage.

Best bet is to speak to a professional who has dealt with these kinds of ex-pat cases before
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • BrianUK
    Options
    Thanks for that. I live in Bahrain and am also paid tax free, rent free, 8 pence a litre for fuel, and no electric and water charges either so quite a chunk of my cash is disposable hence the need to use it wisely. The local currency is pegged to the US $ so exchange rate is quite favourable right now. Are you able to advise me?
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Some lenders may be able to give you a US$ mortgage option if that helps?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure