🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

2nd Mortgage. Help and advice needed

Options
My parents currently have a mortgage with about 10 years left. I'm 21 and currently live with them however I want to move out and we have an idea to help.

My parents will get a second mortgage to get a second home (but effectively my home). I will live there and pay them, who will then pay the second mortgage. After a number of years, we will sell the property, pay off the second mortgage completely and any remaining equity (hopefully quite a bit) will be given to me. Which I can then use as a deposit to get my own mortgage.

What implications/issues are we likely to face? Would my parents have to declare it as a second income?

any help and advice on this would me much appreciated. Thanks :-)
Loan (for car) - [STRIKE]£6600 [/STRIKE]/ £2842

Credit Card - [STRIKE]£750[/STRIKE] £0

Comments

• hazbow
    hazbow Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    anyone? :o

• feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    Are you not in a position to apply for a mortgage with yr parents providing you with the deposit?
  • hazbow
    Options
    unfortunately not, hence the reason for thinking of doing what i've mentiond above

• feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, their are all sorts of implications but that doesn't make it impossible..........Yr parents are best consulting an independent adviser
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    hazbow wrote: »
    unfortunately not, hence the reason for thinking of doing what i've mentiond above

But they will need a deposit for this second purchase

Can you give more detail on the figures as to how you would want this to work?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • hazbow
    Options
    herbiesjp wrote: »
    But they will need a deposit for this second purchase

Can you give more detail on the figures as to how you would want this to work?

Could they get a second mortgage at 100%? I very much doubt that I myself would be able to get a 100% mortgage in current climate, but they might as they have good credit history.

How I would want this to work is they get a 100% mortgage to buy a second home. I would live in that second home and pay my dad "rent" equivalent to the monthly cost of the mortgage. Then pay all other bills and expenses myself.

After say 5 years, we would sell the house, pay off the mortgage completely that was taken out for the house and any remaining equity would go to me.
    I would then use that, plus any savings I have saved in that time to get my own mortgage and hopefully and decent one as I would have a good deposit.

My parents neither gain or lose anything except me out of the house.

• herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Only one probelm -there are no 100% mortgages
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They could get a buy to let mortgage say at 75% on the new place, with 25% deposit raised against thier existing home.

Another option is 10% deposit and buy as a second 'intended' home for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport