🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Come out of fixed motgage? help

Options
Hi all,
I got a fixed mortgage at 6.9% in june last year for 3 years just before the credit crunch, Now the interest rates are coming down, is there any way to break free from the fixed mortgage and remortgage with same or another bank with a lower rate??
My currant mortgage is with Bank of Scotland.
Thanks in advance
Asif Sardar

Comments

• _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but you would need to pay early repayment charges.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    As Andy says your original agreement will tell you what your early repayment charges will be - you need to work out whether the cost of those charges plus the cost of a new arrangement fee (if applicable) will still save money with a lower interest rate. Also check that you can actually get a mortgage with the much bandied low rates - many of them require 20% or more deposit. Your house will be worth less now than when you bought it so the deposit would be a percentage of the current price.
  • asifsardar
    Options
    thats great guys, thats for the quick responce.
    I will checks the paper work when i get home tonight.
    Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family