🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Please Help Ftb

Options
I am most of the way through buying my first house but am now very confused about what to do about a mortgage and need good advice so please, please of you can, help! I am almost in tears as I am writing as I am so confused.

Nationwide have offered me a mortgage, 3 years fixed at 6.68% with a £299 fee.

When the interest rate went down again today I wondered whether a better deal might be available to me via Nationwide but there wasn't.

However, the co-op bank are offering a 3 year discounted variable rate currently at 4.54%. The discount os 0.2% below the lenders Standard variable rate. I had a fee of £995 and I would need to have a second valuation done at a cost of £275 as they don't accept a valuation already done for another lender.

Which deal do you think would be best? I am so confused. I am buying by myself and I am just not financially minded in a way that makes me confident to choose. I don't want to mess it all up by choosing a deal that is not very good. Right now, my friend, whose mortage amount is £40,000 more than mine (she completed her purchase jus a few weeks ago), is paying less than £100 a month more than me as she is on a base rate mortgage. It seems so unfair that her mortgage is so much higher than mine but she much cheaper. I know interest rates are probably going to drop again, but I assume they will rise also in the next 3 years.

Please, if you can, help and advise. I appreciate every bit of advice I get. Thank you.

Comments

• feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    If yr a FTB do you not feel taking advice from an independent mortgage adviser would be appropriate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport