We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car Servicing and Warranties.

Options
There is a very interesting article today in the motoring section of the Sunday Times dealing with car servicing , especially at franchised dealers. Probably most people (including myself ) were under the impression that to satisfy the terms of the warranty you had to have your car serviced at one of these dealers. But no , new EU legislation, that came into force in May, forces manufactures to honour warranties even if you car has been serviced by an independent garage.

This way you should be able to save yourself money because these dealers tend to charge much more per hour for routine services and for parts. For instance there is a BMW dealer in London that charges £ 150 per hour ! Even setting aside this high price most dealers charge double for servicing and sometimes three times for parts.

Another saving you can make in time a petrol is that you can probably have your car serviced nearer home instead of trying to find the nearest franchise garage. For instance I own a Nissan and my nearest Nissan dealer is nearly 20 miles away . So last time I had my car serviced there I had to drive my car there , wait around for half a day, and then drive back home.
What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport