PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

combi microwave - do i need new cookware / baking tins?

Options

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Panasonic is the one that we have and would not be without it.

You will need to study the book when you get and learn one thing at a time.

We can do a jacket potato in 15 Min's on combination. Properly cooked and with a crispy skin.

The first Panasonic we had cost us over £400 and lasted eleven years, but they are a lot cheaper to buy now.

Good luck.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • septemberblues
    Options
    I bought a combi microwave cooker (with grill) it was £63 from Comet just before Xmas, I had intended to buy a microwave with a grill, I didn't realise until I got it home it was an oven too! I have bought some pyrex dishes to use (they are half price at Sainsburys at the mo). A friend of mine absolutely swears by it as being much more economical as an oven rather than a convential oven, I am going to make a cake with it tomorrow. The instructions are rubbish and don't tell you how to cook things, so I am interested in what people have to say about them, and how to use the oven!

It's a "Goodmans" CB23S-U, the microwave is 900w and the grill is 1000w and the oven is 2000w, it is 23litre size.
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
  • septemberblues
    Options
    ariba10 wrote: »
    Panasonic is the one that we have and would not be without it.

You will need to study the book when you get and learn one thing at a time.

We can do a jacket potato in 15 Min's on combination. Properly cooked and with a crispy skin.

The first Panasonic we had cost us over £400 and lasted eleven years, but they are a lot cheaper to buy now.

Good luck.

How do you do this? In 15 mins with a crispy skin!! Sounds brilliant - I have the technology but don't know how to use it :o
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How do you do this? In 15 mins with a crispy skin!! Sounds brilliant - I have the technology but don't know how to use it :o
    You use it in "combi mode" so it is microwaving and grilling at the same time. The microwave is cooking it and the grill is crisping it.

Check the book for your model to find out how to do that.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    250 oven, low MV and No1 on the Grill. Metal tray on turntable with rack on top of that. !4 Min's

It is all in he book.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Peartree
    Peartree Posts: 788 Forumite
    Options
    It is taking some adjustment but I'm loving my combi oven which is a similar panasonic model to yours. Apart from saving money when just used on normal oven mode, the combi programmes are very good - it does a great roast chicken and pizza. I always use it as my grill as it is easier to clean than the one in my cooker.

Some of your square/rectangular oven trays might not fit on the turntable but apart from that the only time you can't use metal is on full microwave mode.

The only problem is that there are no up to date cookbooks for combi ovens - the ones you can get are for older models which are less powerful. However, if you can pick one up cheaply it is worth buying - just adjust the microwave strength in a combi programme downwards. The other thing is that you can't combine more than one dish in it easily like you would in a normal oven (unless you are just using it on conventional oven mode). However, with a bit of planning you can get around this.

I've had mine for a couple of months and I'm still getting my head around it but I wouldn't be without it. It would be nice to see a thread for combi oven experience sharing/recipes.
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Options
    thanks everyone

so should i buy this one from amazon? £100 :eek: but is it worth it:eek:
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    artichoke wrote: »
    thanks blueberry pie

so do you think the one on amazon is a good deal? i had read in the threads on here that panasonic was a good make - but i also have seen the offers in argos and so am still not really sure

art

I think the Panasonic from Amazon is probably a very good deal - it gets good reviews anywhere I've looked.

But then Morphy Richards is also a good name (see the slow cooker threads for how much people there love their MRs!) and I felt I couldn't justify the extra expense for the Panasonic. In terms of size and features, they're pretty much the same.

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with the Morphy Richards one :-)
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had 3 Pansonics now, and for many years did not even bother with a conventional oven, just had a hob. Gave in to DS & DH's demands that they wanted a "real" oven. It sits there lookin pretty and I continue to use my Panny Oven/Grill/Comvbi/Microwave, apart for the odd time I have too many guests and need more space. There is a metal round plate with mine, and a seperate inner, which is ideal for pizza's. I would recommend the Amazon one.

I have to be honest and say I only use the automatic combination programs, and mainly the jacket spud one, otherwise use it as a microwave or an oven or a grill.

DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought some silicon bakeware, so I can use microwave and convection together. The silicon pans are good to 200 degrees and are safe for microwave. Also I use a lot of china bakeware too, they are ok for both micro and convection oven.

I'm just getting into using my combi properly but I use it for roasting, baking and making cakes, soup as well as the normal micro things - scrambled eggs, milky coffee, defrosting and heating up.

I've only switched my main oven once since June last year :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills