32 replies 16K views

Replies

• MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    In response to the last two:

(1) I don't believe BG are good value at all; and
    (2) Yes, the 3* cover is a scam and the service has been replaced with a poxy safety check despite the price ever increasing.
  • worcester/bosch boilers makers do their own contract at £136. a year that includes service once a year.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • George_BrayGeorge_Bray Forumite
    734 Posts
    ✭✭
    I've been in my present house for 16 years. I have gas fired warm air central heating (brilliant) and hot water. The system works perfectly, probably because I've never let a British Gas engineer anywhere near it, and neither would I.

Annual service? That's a joke. All they do is collect the money, brush over the burners and take a quick look around to help justify the charge. I use my nose to check there's no gas leaks, a CO device to check there's no carbon monoxide, and my skin to check that the system is producing warm air and hot water.

I spend only about £100 a year on gas at today's prices. A service contract would probably double that, so I would have thrown away well over £1000 in unnecessary service calls. And they would have had 16 opportunities to pitch for a new boiler costing thousands.

Regards
    George
    734 Posts
    ✭✭
    It appears I under-estimated the savings by not wasting money on having your boiler serviced.

It says on the British Gas website that:
    "Central Heating Care includes unlimited call outs, plus parts and labour** all for a special online price of £15.50 a month (normally £16 a month)."

So at today's price levels, I have saved £15.50 x 12 months x 16 years = a whopping £2976 !

Incredible. I simply do not understand why anyone would enter into that sort of service agreement. In the unlikely event that something breaks, get the part replaced. It will be much, much cheaper unless you are cheated, of course, and sold parts which aren't really needed, which I fear happens all too often, if only to push people into the service agreements.

Regards
    George
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hear, hear, George. I don't understand how otherwise sensible people get all-a-quiver about their gas central heating and open their wallets to BG even though self-insurance is FAR better value for money.

And absolutely, by inflating the costs to those who call them out who are not covered, and by failing to repair completely serviceable systems, they make people believe that central heating repairs are hugely expensive and the systems are very unreliable, whereas in fact neither is the case.
    734 Posts
    ✭✭
    ... they make people believe that central heating repairs are hugely expensive and the systems are very unreliable, whereas in fact neither is the case.

Exactly. The systems should be very reliable, as I have found. Compared to a motor car, there's virtually nothing to go wrong. There are some subjects where people are more easily persuaded to open their wallets in fear, on a basis that "these are areas where I don't want to risk cutting corners - only the best is good enough."

Examples include, in my opinion, gas servicing (of course) plus eye care (contact lens pricing rip off) and funeral costs (when people are vulnerable and "only the best will do", regardless of value for money).
  • Rik_SRik_S Forumite
    48 Posts
    Don`t want to go too far off the topic here but I had a boiler installed & some other work done by BG a couiple of years back.

Can`t fault their workmanship etc, but once they left the problems began. The new digistat wouldn`t work and it was apparent that none of the engineers knew how to fix it ::).

It resulted in numerous call outs some of which the engineers never attended or simply lied about what time they were there.

I complained as I felt I wasn`t getting the service I had paid for. The only offer that was made was one of a discounted extended warranty!! I did explain that to the cs that I wasn`t prepared to pay more ( even at a discounted rate) for no service and I wasnt` a complete glutton for punishment.
  • Here's a long-con that you may fall prey to if you are foolish enough to use BG "Homecare". They service your boiler but change the settings so that it will "rapid cycle" i.e. run though its ignition cycle every 90 seconds or so. Not an immediate disaster - except the additional stress on your system means that parts, or even the whole system, need replacing much more frequently = more worg for BG! Enjoy!
  • PS - would be very keen to hear any opinions on what I have just posted, especially anything evidential!
  • Anyone responding to me?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals