We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Is it time to jump?
Vertigo1
Posts: 38 Forumite
Well I've been sitting patiently waiting to see what the market does but I'm now starting to wonder if it's time to jump.
My 5.29% fixed rate with Britannia ends on 4/1/09. I will then drop down to their current 4.99% SVR which will save me a bit of money.
I currently have two options - Britannia themselves are offering 4.69% fixed for three years with no fees at all and I also have the option of a 4.39% two year fixed deal with Abbey but with £1000 fees (which can be added to mortgage rather than paid up front).
I was waiting for fixed rate deals to fall nearer 4% but it's starting to look like this won't happen, and with most lenders now looking like they're going to enforce collars on their trackers I'm wondering if it's worth waiting any more for better deals or just going for one of the above?
If I were to jump then I'd almost be inclined to stick with Britannia rather than jump to Abbey as it would give me the security of a fixed rate for an extra year and I'd avoid the £1000 fees. The Abbey deal might save me a bit of money over the term but, as my mortgage is under £100k, there wouldn't be much in it.
Any advice or opinions?
My 5.29% fixed rate with Britannia ends on 4/1/09. I will then drop down to their current 4.99% SVR which will save me a bit of money.
I currently have two options - Britannia themselves are offering 4.69% fixed for three years with no fees at all and I also have the option of a 4.39% two year fixed deal with Abbey but with £1000 fees (which can be added to mortgage rather than paid up front).
I was waiting for fixed rate deals to fall nearer 4% but it's starting to look like this won't happen, and with most lenders now looking like they're going to enforce collars on their trackers I'm wondering if it's worth waiting any more for better deals or just going for one of the above?
If I were to jump then I'd almost be inclined to stick with Britannia rather than jump to Abbey as it would give me the security of a fixed rate for an extra year and I'd avoid the £1000 fees. The Abbey deal might save me a bit of money over the term but, as my mortgage is under £100k, there wouldn't be much in it.
Any advice or opinions?
0
Comments
-
Seeing as your payments are going to go down whatever you do, you might want to consider staying on the Britannia SVR until something better comes along.
I am hoping that lenders will soon bring out some more competitive remortgage deals, rather than the dross most of them are currently offering.
While you are on Britannia SVR, you are a free agent, and can move your mortgage ( or renew with them) at any time if something good comes up.I am a Mortgage adviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
im with britannia on the + .85 above base. now 2.85%
ive had my eye on their 4.69 fix for 5yrs with no fees. ive tried some comparison sites and they come up close to the top, especially for existing customers.
big question is, will the fixed rates come down and how long should i hang on to + .85 (incase fixed rates go up??)
if they went to 4% i think id jump straight in.
p.s. i would give some thought to fixing for longer than 3 years. i think at least 5 or even 100 -
I was waiting for fixed rate deals to fall nearer 4% but it's starting to look like this won't happen
It wont drop much more even if interest rates do. However, there is still some scope for movement downwards on fixed deals.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
Thanks for that.Seeing as your payments are going to go down whatever you do, you might want to consider staying on the Britannia SVR until something better comes along.
I am hoping that lenders will soon bring out some more competitive remortgage deals, rather than the dross most of them are currently offering.
While you are on Britannia SVR, you are a free agent, and can move your mortgage ( or renew with them) at any time if something good comes up.
My main worry is that interest rates won't drop any further and there won't be any better deals coming soon. If I wait too long, I'm worried I could miss the boat and the fixed rate deals could start going up. Am I worrying unnecessarily you reckon?0 -
I'm in the same position - on SVR since yesterday. I'm happy to wait a while yet and see what deals come up. I'm hopeful of a 4% with minimal fees and would agree with skoda38 about looking for a 5 year deal rather than 3.0
-
Thanks for that.
My main worry is that interest rates won't drop any further and there won't be any better deals coming soon. If I wait too long, I'm worried I could miss the boat and the fixed rate deals could start going up. Am I worrying unnecessarily you reckon?
It's difficult to know what to do for the best.
You make a good point there. Are they now as low as they are going to get ?
I'm clinging to the hope that better deals will come along. The first 1.5% effectively killed the remortgage market and left the lenders pulling their products and running for cover.
Even in a good year, there tend not to be too many good deals around at the end of a year, as by then most lenders have hit their lending targets and lost interest. At the end of last year, it was clear that most lenders did not really want to lend at all, unless it was an A1 case and they were forced to.
I hope that in the new year, with new targets to hit, and continual pressure from the government to lend, better deals will come along.
The lenders won't want too many people on SVR's either, as that will mean that the borrowers are in control, rather than them.I am a Mortgage adviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards