We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

'getting back' mortgage overpayments?

I have 5 years to run on a 25 year SVR mortgage, but due to £8,000 in overpayments it's been down to a nominal £1 for a couple of year now, so the BS safely hold the deeds.

I'd like to 'get back' the overpayments to fund a home improvement, paying back the sum over the remaining 5 years of the mortgage.

Anyone done this? I don't want to pay any fees and retain the option of overpaying to pay-off the balance if some money comes my way!

Comments

  • Check your agreement relating to overpayments, I have a mortgage with Northern Rock that I all but paid off last year, I kept it running with a minimal amount in case I want the re-payments back. A telephone call to NR confirmed that it would just take a quick call from me and they'd have the cash back to me within 3 days, all without any extra fees.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    amcluesent wrote: »
    I have 5 years to run on a 25 year SVR mortgage, but due to £8,000 in overpayments it's been down to a nominal £1 for a couple of year now, so the BS safely hold the deeds.

    I'd like to 'get back' the overpayments to fund a home improvement, paying back the sum over the remaining 5 years of the mortgage.

    Anyone done this? I don't want to pay any fees and retain the option of overpaying to pay-off the balance if some money comes my way!

    Who is the lender?
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Nationwide
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.