Can I get a refund on a faulty item with no receipt?

Options
Bought a dress last week, this week I carefully washed it by hand according to the manufacturer's instructions. Despite this, it's shrunk. I no longer have the receipt, can I still claim a refund?

Comments

• zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You won't get a refund without a receipt, the best you will get is a credit note or an offer to exchange the item.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • MosesRoses
    Options
    Thanks for advice; I'll get down to the shops asap.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You do not need a receipt if you can prove you bought it from the shop in question by some other means, i.e. bank/CC statement, label that denotes it had to come from that shop etc. SoGA, see Q 7; -
    Q7. Do I have to produce a receipt to claim my rights?
    No. In fact the trader doesn't have to give you a receipt in the first place so it would be unfair to say that you had to produce one. However, it might not be unreasonable for the shop to want some proof of purchase, so look to see if you have a cheque stub, bank statement, credit card slip etc., and this should be sufficient.

The dress is obviously "not fit for purpose" as defined under SoGA. WHICH ; -
    "fit for purpose' – this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer)."
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• crawley_girl
    Options
    I was given a watch/ bracelet set for Christmas. The watch doesnt work (friend is a jeweller who has tried to get it going but not able to) but my BF has not got the receipt and paid cash for it. I still have the presentation box but no proof of purchase - if I were to take this back to Argos for an exchange, do you think it would be a problem?
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • oilit
    oilit Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    I was given a watch/ bracelet set for Christmas. The watch doesnt work (friend is a jeweller who has tried to get it going but not able to) but my BF has not got the receipt and paid cash for it. I still have the presentation box but no proof of purchase - if I were to take this back to Argos for an exchange, do you think it would be a problem?

You may get challenged if they can tell somebody has had the thing apart - which in an ideal world you shouldnt have done.
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    I returned a few items back to BHS which I got for christmas presents. A Pyjama top which was a size too small and the slippers slipt after wearing for 1 day. As I did not have the receipt for them, I only got the amount they were in their sale £5 each and ended up having to pay some money for new replacements. Be careful that they may exchange but you may not get all your money you paid as its sale time now.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The shop don't know that you fallowed the correct washing instructions or not. I doubt they'd refund it. I'd only expect an exchange.
  • crawley_girl
    crawley_girl Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oilit wrote: »
    You may get challenged if they can tell somebody has had the thing apart - which in an ideal world you shouldnt have done.

He didn't take it apart - I made sure of that - knowing that that can invalidate warantees etc. It was just a case of checking that there was a battery in place. Battery changed but still not working.

I can only try my luck on the weekend and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice :beer:

:heartpuls CG :heartpuls
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure