NIE rip off

Options

Comments

• itsmylife_2
    Options
    Ours came in this morning, up from 50 to 85 quid (sorry pound sign has gone awol)... going to try ringing this afternoon to see if I can get it reduced a bit.
    tying hard to cut down grocery shop bill...
  • bullpeppar
    Options
    Ours went up from £44 to £75 a few months back.

When I questioned this they said I could reduce the DD if I wanted but I would be responsible for ensuring I didn't go into arrears. The new DD was only a guide based on my usage and the new pricing structures and I could change it if I wanted to.

Also interesting that the price per unit has gone up to 16p from somewhere around 9p in the Summer.

The letter also said the increased price was due to higher gas and oil prices. Now that oil has come down, it will be interesting if the price of electricity comes down also - I doubt it though.
  • beautifullybroken
    Options
    having just recieved our quarterly bill i was quite sirprised as i was only being charged 12p a unit instead of the quoted 16.68p on nie website.

DD is around £50 a month which is about right for the bill as long as the unit price doesn't change.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Well they have increased mine from £25 to £34 a month effective from next month
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    having just recieved our quarterly bill i was quite sirprised as i was only being charged 12p a unit instead of the quoted 16.68p on nie website.

DD is around £50 a month which is about right for the bill as long as the unit price doesn't change.

I've just got my bill and I've been charged 12.66p per unit as well :confused: :j :confused: :j anyone got any idea about why this might be?

Also not to nitpick but how come they were trumpeting a fall of 10% in prices when it has fallen from (I think if I remember right) 16.88p per kwh to 15.61 - this isn't 10%!

I have quite a good head for numbers and I have no idea how they're working this out.
  • Nomad25
    Nomad25 Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the Tele last night it said prices for electricity we being reduce - no other details. How come? Why don't they tell us what it's going to be - anyone in the know? Incidentally my DD has increased by 25% based on annual usage!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I got the latest price as 15.61p from the NIE website http://www.nieenergy.co.uk/latestprices.php

But it is also a pet peeve for me that they don't just give you the actual cost per unit when they do the publicity...
  • OnceUponADream
    OnceUponADream Posts: 16,047 Forumite
    Options
    I received a letter yesterday kindly letting me know our monthly payment is increasing from £49.00 to £69.00 as off 2/2/09. Just waiting my bill (the meter was read last week) to see what the units are etc.
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
    :TBig thanks to all competition posters:T
  • Nomad25
    Nomad25 Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But it is also a pet peeve for me that they don't just give you the actual cost per unit when they do the publicity...

I agree BG, I had done some calcs based on 15.81p [as you say on website], however like other posters our qtrly bills show unit costs that have never been reflected on their website as the std consumer price. So I'm non the wiser and still confused, but to be sure will be phoning them tomorrow.

Based on their new DDs, it would appear that either they think everyone is going to use more lekky next year, or the price has not been decreased [-10% according to them] and we are all being bull-sh*tted.

Has anyone had their DDs for next year reduced? If its based on annual usage and there's been a price decrease, someone must have.

Is it part of the 'mushroom' plan? What a bunch of toads.
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think we all need to wait and see what the pricing is going to be like - my 2008 monthly fee was set at £39 way back a year ago - Mid year they announced the big rise in prices but did nothing about the DD - now they have upped it to £66 - maybe a bit too much but maybe not - as for half the past year the price has been a lot higher - I know its going to reduce but its not going back to the pre-2008 rates so I am going to just accept the new monthly payment and then check it out mid year and if its building a surplus ask for it back.
    John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport