Affiliate Schemes and where they are headed

Options
Just thought I'd raise this topic.

Affiliate schemes have been around for a good while now and a lot of people have adopted it successfuly on their sites like MSE, Offer of the day etc....

But these days any Tom, !!!!!! or harry can start an affiliate account either directly through the company/affiliate network or indirectly through cashback schemes which offer incentives to earn cashback from referred members.

This has caused people to set up crap websites and to bomb forum sites with their links. Cashback sites are now in abundance too.

The market has now become highly saturated in my opinion for what was once such a good idea.

What are your opinions? Should it be regulated in a certain way (some accounts only accept you if you have a high traffic website with a pagerank of 2+).

Is anyone here earning any good passive income from affiliate schemes?
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
- Thomas Dewar

Comments

• Danjames90
    Options
    I am an affiliate manager for a number of company's as well as a part time affiliate, I and my merchants earn a large amount from this marketing channel and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Of course there are dodgy and baddly run affiliate schemes but there are also extremly good ones, there are large costs involved in setting up a programme so it normally seperates the men from the boys.

TV, radio and magazine advertising budgets are being slashes left right and center, this is causing affiliate programmes as well as online advertising to increase. Its around to stay for a very long time.
  • lcharm
    lcharm Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    Danjames90 wrote: »
    TV, radio and magazine advertising budgets are being slashes left right and center, this is causing affiliate programmes as well as online advertising to increase. Its around to stay for a very long time.

Yeah but this is gorwing exponentially and when TV/Radio etc... budgets are slashed the knock on effect will be rendundancies from the advertising agencies so that they can slash their prices too.

But I do agree with you, when it's done right, it's done well!
    Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
    - Thomas Dewar
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I use to run a web site in late 90's and I am just Joe public and even then you could get affiliate links so its by far not new.

I didnt spam my web site though I just had in in top x theme web sites and do deals with other web sites to have hotlink to there web site and vice versa, I didnt make any money either but then my motive wasnt money making
  • Danjames90
    Options
    lcharm wrote: »
    Yeah but this is gorwing exponentially and when TV/Radio etc... budgets are slashed the knock on effect will be rendundancies from the advertising agencies so that they can slash their prices too.

Yes but only from the agencies that have old skool TV/radio deals, if they don't get into CPM, CPA, SEO, PPC, Affiliates then they are in trouble.

Any agencies worth any salt will have one if not all of these under their belt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure