PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

ideas for bday tea??

Options
Hi its my little girsl bday next monday and on the sunday everyone will be coming around to our house!! I normally do nibbles and things when people come for things like this (pre brought from the likes of mrT) But this ends up costing alot so i was thinking of cooking a meal. Would love to be able to cook something that i can shove in the slow cooker in the morning and then not worry about it and enjoy the afternoon but i really cant think of anything. MY mind is not working!!!!lol
I thought maybe a curry or chillie but both are not suitable for the kiddies so will have to make something else for them.

Any ideas would be really greatfully received and im sure there must be something that doesnt cost a fortune! Doesnt have to be something in the slow cooker but just want something easy that wont lock me to the kitchen all day!!

many thanks for reading
GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
£2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
:jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How old are your children? How many children will there be? How many adults?
  • mummy2mygirls
    Options
    5 and 2 and there will be another 5 yr old. Then about 10 adults! So not to many...
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • handmaiden_2
    Options
    sphagetti bolognaise?? sausage casserole, beef bourgingon all of these I whack in the slow cooker xx
    My aim for 2009 is to SAVE not spend. my aim for jan is to have £400 by 30th jan...... here goes! total so far. £30;)
    sealed pot challenge #503 £2 savers club 2009 #54
  • Peartree
    Options
    It does depend on how many and the breakdown of adults and children but having entertained families after christmas, I've found that simple food goes down very well indeed after all the excesses! What about a sausage casserole with mash or a shepherds pie?

You could do a lot of nice sausages (in the oven to make it easy) and serve them as hot dogs. Maybe also do a lot of potato wedges and a few salads?
  • tiddly_widdly
    Options
    What about a huge bowl of tuna pasta. Everyone seems to love that these days especially kids and its cheap.
    :T £2.00 coin saver number 059

Sealed pot challenge number 519:j
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jacket potatoes with various fillings? Could include your curry/chilli with this if you also do some cheese/ham/coleslaw to keep the kids happy

Or HM pizzas?
  • parisjordana
    Options
    aaawwww what fun.......all the above ideas are very good....my big girls birthday is coming up but I guess 16 is a different cuttle of fish !!!!
    :hello:Time2start a new year diet for a new me:j
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I went to a friends little girls birthday party not long ago, there were 6 kiddies and about 14 adults.... She did exactly this.....

Massive slow cooker full of mild(ish) chilli...Tray of baked spuds in the oven, Big pan of rice on the cooker.That was for the adults

Big casserole dish full of one pot sausage casserole for the kiddies (made with the spuds cubed and cooked in the dish) In the oven.

It worked out very well as she prepared everything in the morning, whacked the slow cooker on all day, turned the oven on 1.5 hrs before they were due to eat, This allowed plenty of time for both the jackets and the casserole. I think she pre-cooked the rice in the morning too and reheated it....not sure if many people would be happy doing this though!!! Once it was time to eat she just shoved it all out on the table in the dishes it had cooked in and let people ladle away........

It was a real success and everyone commented on how nice the food was. It did also work out a LOT cheaper than a buffet would have done for that many people.

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure