Shops conning customers paying in euro

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
14 replies 1.1K views
facingthefuturefacingthefuture Forumite
939 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Please can we post a list of shops who actively rip off customers regarding paying in Euro, indeed this could be compared to those stores who play fair.
At this moment XE reports
Live rates at 2008.12.28 16:18:56 UTC 1.00 EUR

=

0.952599 GBP

Euro United Kingdom Pounds 1 EUR = 0.952599 GBP 1 GBP = 1.04976 EUR
Benetton in Derry gives only 80p for the euro
whereas Dunnes gives around 94p.

Lets name and shame the offenders!!!!!!!

Replies

• ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    0.952599 GBP price quoted is the Mid price of any dealings

so the real price would be 2p each side of that price to buy or to sell

tourist rate is more like 0.92 to 0.98
  • 3 months ago my dad was in France and got offered 1 euro for his pound when the pound was a little stronger than it is now.
    I think some people will try it on when they can all over the globe, And with the exchange changing so quick it would be a job in its self trying to keep up with it
  • ParisienParisien Forumite
    925 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah......who ever said private sector was best!

Shafting is freely available in both sectors....:)

Yes, just like they report on poor social services and health care, lets do the same for those businesses who freely try to shaft the ordinary shopper on a daily basis!

Power to the pound..........or is it the Euro?!
  • Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    isnt it easier to get the £ cash from the cash machine ,rather than trying to get shop to give a good exchange rate .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Please can we post a list of shops who actively rip off customers regarding paying in Euro, indeed this could be compared to those stores who play fair.

Name and shame the 'offenders'? You don't know how their banking operates - but I would be surprised if they would get as good as 96p per euro. The reality is likely to be closer to around 93-94p - so you should be quite happy to get 94p out of Dunnes at the moment. Likewise, for buying in Euro change, it's likely to cost them 98p or so per Euro - so how exactly is anyone being ripped off?

If you don't like it - then change your money at an exchange and pay in pounds. But don't be too surprised if you get nothing near the XE.com rate ;)

You're forgetting one thing - shops aren't obliged to take the Euro. If it makes it convenient for cross-border shoppers, great - but they don't have to. To that extent, they're not ripping off anyone - but they're simply charging for convenience.

Remeber, it costs them to accept the Euro, too.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but the banks will only take eure note not coins .
    Just more hassle for the shop
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Sorry, I meant Dunnes rate is fine, its Benetton at 80p thats unfair and should be named and shamed!
    Last week I changed pound to euro at the bank and had to pay more in pounds than I got for my euro.
    80p is quite a big difference to 93p.
    Also I don't think anyone expects a store to accept euro coins.

Also many people in border regions do have euros for various reasons. The north can hardly reap the benefits without making a little attempt to be reasonable.
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please can we post a list of shops who actively rip off customers regarding paying in Euro, indeed this could be compared to those stores who play fair.
    At this moment XE reports
    Live rates at 2008.12.28 16:18:56 UTC 1.00 EUR

=

0.952599 GBP

Euro United Kingdom Pounds 1 EUR = 0.952599 GBP 1 GBP = 1.04976 EUR
    Benetton in Derry gives only 80p for the euro
    whereas Dunnes gives around 94p.

Why?

I'm sure any foreigners can look after their own best interests when here in the uk - i know i have to when i'm abroad.
  • RobothellRobothell Forumite
    494 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I think you're being a bit unreasonable facingthefuture, as others say you have no idea how each store's banking works and what charges they incur. It is at the shop's discretion whether they accept euro or not, after all it is not actually legal tender in the North of Ireland.

It wasn't so long ago that the petrol stations just across the border were only giving E1.40 in exchange from £1 when the rate was closer to E1.45.

My advice is don't shop in Benetton using euro while they post a poor rate. Incidentally, Debenhams in Derry were giving 95p for the euro the other day.
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Name and shame the 'offenders'?

The BANKS !!

They make profit on the exchange rate, not the shops
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides