PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    hi mummy thats a lot of lurpak:p ,on savoury mince i just brown mince drain off any fat add chopped onion carrot maybe some baked beans...add water and gravy granules....i serve it with rice or cous cous or frozen chips or mash...oh and a tablespoon of tomato puree keeps the mince brown in stead of a bit grey iykwim.....i found a bargain i think today...in f@rmfoods they do 750g of frozen veg for 39p.....i saw sweetcorn diced carrot diced swede (seperate) mixeg veg and a couple of others that iv forgotten....i got the sweetcorn and will say if its any good....i prefer fresh but its good to have in if all else has failed....eliza bunny that curry sounds nice im going to give that a go......have a nice day tess

I have changed it now..my shift key didnt work lol. Thanks for the recipe. I will try it tonight, Yup i think you got a bargain too...May have a nosey in FFoods tomorrow on way home from college.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • mummy2mygirls
    Options
    hello everyone well i poped to Aldi this morning to get there fruit and veg deals i spent £14 something (will update sig in a bit when i get the receipt out!!
    Did get a fair bit for this so im happy! The potatoes deal is great a 5kg bag for 49p!! I had to get two ofcourse!! :) Also got lots of fruit juice for me as i cant stop drinking it at the moe....

Anyway will update sig in a bit hope your all having a good day
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • SAVVYMUMMY_2
    Options
    Hi there everyone.
    A NSD for me today, DS1 decided to have packed lunch this week, so £10 saved there from the school dinners.:j
    Made a parsnip soup for lunch today, with whoopsie parsnips I brought yesterday at MrT, put a little HM yog in to make a bit more creamy and needed a little sweetness for afters:D , so had a piece of HM christmas cake, that`s still lurking about.
    Dinner tonight will be baked spuds, baked beans, cheese, HM coleslaw and salad.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good savory mince recipe? and what do i serve savory mince with? i have no potatoes.

Here's a Savoury Mince Recipe or you might find something on the More exciting mince recipes thread ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    Well only 12 days left and I still have £140 left so i'm feeling fairly confident(famous last words :p ) that i'll come in on or below budget.

I've everything in the fridge/cupboards for tonights dinner and enough packed lunch stuff until weds or thurs.

Still loads in the freezer/cupboards/fridge and i'm aiming to avoid going shopping as long as possible this week.

I find paying a few pence more in the corner shop for milk saves me money in the long run as I avoid Asda and the temptation of buying other things I strictly speaking don't need.

Won't need any cleaning or laundry products expect loo rolls thanks to Asda's 2 for a £1 offers on cleaning stuff. Infact I probably have enough fairy liquid and kitchen cleaner to last me half way through next month aswell.:T
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • webitha
    webitha Posts: 4,799 Forumite
    Options
    well this is only the second time that ie needed to post on here t pdate my siggy since jan 1st, and today i spend £24:34 in Mr Ms inc loo roll for all 4 of us for the week, got their stewpack so thats all going into the slow cooker tomorrow, and i still got a large chicken in the freezer since dec, so that will get eaten (2 or 3 meals) this week, s andas i still got lotsin this month is turning out to be very cheap.

since i stopped lurking and started to get proactive, i cant believe the amount i have saved i have even hit my target already for 11 NSD, unthinkable this time last year :j
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• yummymummy05
    Options
    well had a nsd yesterday, had to get some more milk (forgot how much you use in cauli cheese!) and bread. Even bread seems to be more expensive now - I've started buying Whoopsie loaves and freezing them straight away! Spent £2.25 so have gone slightly over budget but only have to last 'til Friday when I get paid and have everything for the week I think!

So I'm gonna declare at £180.72 and my budget for Feb will be £150!

I've decided to take nappies and formula out of the grocery challenge so I get a better idea about actual food costs so that is why the budget is so low. I'm also going from payday to payday so it's just over 4 weeks!!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Updated my total with spends in Asda this morning, DD1 has FoodTech tomorrow so needed fresh mushrooms, red peppers and I also had to get some more Fruit for Packed Lunches etc so I now only have £3.40 left to last until 27th so I know we will be over budget this month as I still have 3 days of School Dinners to pay for and will need to get more milk before 27th.:mad:

On the Plus side, I know before I started the GC I was spending a lot more than this and Ferbuary should be OK as both Freezers are full, have 3 Free Range chickens in there, sausages, diced Pork, mince, leg of lamb etc etc.:D

Dinner tonight is a Curry using the Beef leftover from yesterday's Roast.;)

Hope you are all doing well this month, getting close now, enjoy the rest of the day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all.
    Just been to Lidl for a few bits, see their bread flour is 75p now!
    Did not buy much from GC budget, approx £13 but this included 2 x 4 pinters (2.27 litres) of full cream milk. Our Jan runs until Wed 28th so still a week and a bit to go, but not planning to buy much. Am quite happy as set myself less than 1/12th of yearly budget for January (well I allocated a potentially avaialble 1/12th but withdrew 1/12th MINUS approx £25 iyswim). Not much left of the cash I withdrew but more than plenty to buy milk (which won't be needed until 27th as have 12 pints, or just over 6L in), and any little thing thats needed. I will declare for final figures on 28th. Well done everyone, and even if you are over, don't pull out, keep counting as it will give you a better idea of where to start next month!
    Cannot remember who asked but I would serve savoury mince with pasta or wedges (although the latter is a no go if no potatoes in!).
    HM quiche and hassleback tatties for tea tonight a la meal plan- here is this weeks meal planning thread for anyone who wants a look
    Cheerio for now.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, going to stretch the roast from yesterday a little further! stripped all the meat and boiled the carcass up with a stock cube to make a chicken amd noodle soup for me and o/h as we're both suffering from a cold (and he would not eat at work otherwise!) was just going to make risotto tonight, but i think i will do a sweet and sour instead, then make risotto tomorrow? chicken should be ok as it was fresh to start with? nsd for me today.
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family