We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

where can i get a cheap Fax Machine From ?

Options
hi

i am after a very basic fax machine from all i need is to send faxes and only like once every month or so.

where is the cheapest.

thanks

ifti

Comments

• droopsnout
    droopsnout Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    You could try https://www.telephonesonline.co.uk.

The last three orders I had from them were delivered promptly by Citylink - but that was over two years ago.

Still worth looking, though, and stock changes rapidly, so if you don't find what you want straightaway ...
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Word of warning, don't go for a BT one as the replacement cartridges are extremely expensive. Have just spent the past month researching this for the office and tried a Brother from Viking but it immediately jammed and have come to the conclusion that a Cannon would be cheapest in cartridge replacement.

However, if you are only sending once a month or so would you not be cheaper buying a scanner and using the pc?

edited: Or find a small office that would do it for you, we only charge 20p per page!
  • Figment
    Figment Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have a modem installed and Windows XP (same may apply to other versions), you can send faxes straight from your PC.
    Start > Help and Support and search on "fax" for instructions.
    How do I add a signature?
  • Paul1_2
    Paul1_2 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    I have Windows 98 and a programme called Cheyenne Bitware installed, effectively a fax and answer phone. This works well for faxes, docs from word can be "printed" into the fax driver and sent.

Probably a lot cheaper than a fax machine.

Paul1 8)
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • ifti
    ifti Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hey,

thanks for the replies,

i have a program called 32bit Internet Fax is this program ok and how would it come out on the otherside. ive never used it but might give it ago.

thanks.

ifti
  • droopsnout
    droopsnout Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Using a Windows fax program, I can see it is straightforward to send a fax. But what happens if someone else sends a fax to you? Is it stored somewhere until you load your fax program, or does it come through straightaway?
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • George_Bray
    Options
    I bought a Samsung fax machine for occasional use and it jammed up, perhaps as a result of not being used often enough. It can still send faxes and, perhaps even receive them into memory, but printing is dead. No ink comes out. I replaced the ink jet cartridge and jet but to no avail. I will never buy an ink jet machine again, at least for only occasional use.
  • Figment
    Figment Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Using a Windows fax program, I can see it is straightforward to send a fax. But what happens if someone else sends a fax to you? Is it stored somewhere until you load your fax program, or does it come through straightaway?

Will only get to you if your PC is switched on and the fax in receive mode. There are "buffers" you can buy that store the fax if the PC is off, but these are about the same price as a fax machine.
    How do I add a signature?
  • Mecoconuts
    Options

Will only get to you if your PC is switched on and the fax in receive mode.  There are "buffers" you can buy that store the fax if the PC is off, but these are about the same price as a fax machine.

Or you could use a Fax to Email service like this one :

http://www.fido.net/fax2email/

which means you don't have to have your pc switched on all the time to receive it.

I just did a quick search in Google and found this so there's bound to be better deals out there.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fax to e-mail is definitely the way to go for an occasional user.

My Dad works from home and uses it as a fax to e-mail service as his sole fax number. Hasn't had any problems although the number was originally 0870 and is now 0871 which is a bit pricey for those sending. I am sure that there are companies who still do it on 0870 which isn't particularly expensive for those sending reasonable length faxes to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure