Please help: Urgent

Options
All,

I was due to start working through the night. I was also asked to go in 3 mornings this week to train. At the last minute my husbands work commitments have changed and I can no longer take up the position. I also have not received the contract of employment.

I feel dreadful having to let down the lady who interviewed me. Everything with his work had been sorted out but now it's all changed again. With the change he will be travelling more and staying away which is what the problem was before.

I have to phone this lady and tell her the bad news but I'm just not sure how to do it or what to say? Please help. Thanks

For God knew in His great wisdom

That he couldn't be everywhere,
So he put His little Children
In a loving mother's care.

Comments

• Liz_the_Whizz
    Options
    Hi Bettyboop,

Honesty is the best policy - tell this lady what has happened, how keen you were to work there, how sorry you are not to be able to go ahead.

It may be that she can sort out some other arrangement for you (ie not nights), or that she might bear you in mind in the future.

Obviously, no-one wants these things to happen, but they do - employers know that. It's a pain, but it's for her to sort out now - it won't be the first or last time.

Al least you won't be working over Christmas;) .
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • Bettyboop
    Bettyboop Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    Some advice would be really helpful. At the interview when I asked why I wanted this job I said it was because my husband would not be travelling or staying away anymore so the job fitted around my childcare etc. I'm a bit worried this lady is going to be really angry and if I apply again in the future probably discount me because of this. I need to phone her now....please help. Thanks

For God knew in His great wisdom

That he couldn't be everywhere,
    So he put His little Children
    In a loving mother's care.
  • Liz_the_Whizz
    Options
    BB,

You need to blame your DH - not too hard for most of us:rotfl:

Well, blame his employer really - explain your husband's circs have changed - presumably he has no choice over this and in the current climate, putting his foot down may not count well if redundancies were in the offing.

It leaves you in a position where you really have no alternative - it's better to tell her now than to start the job and then let her down.

Sure she'll be able to recruit fairly easily at present.

So try something along these lines:

1. Really sorry but can't take up the job

2. Circs relating to DH's job have changed, employer is insisting he travels more, can't risk his job with worries over recession.

3. Thought it better to tell you now rather than start the job and let you down

4. Really disappointed, really looking forward to working for you

5. Hope that if anything comes up in the future wd still consider me

She may be angry but any other approach (like not turning up) will make things worse.

Deep breath and dial.......
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure