First job help

Options
I'm struggling to find a job, if i find one it will be my first job. I currently volunteer at Oxfam and Cancer Research in their charity shops.

I havn't really been looking since i left school(a year ago) but now my parents are loosing their rag with me about the job situation. However now i have to get a job i can't seem to find any. A shop job is all i'm expecting(i'm not qualified to do anything else), but i've now missed all the temporary Christmas jobs and all the ones in my local paper are mostly based in Manchester(1 hour drive) or you need specific qualifications e.g childcare.
I've looked on the job centre website and there doesn't seem to be any suitable ones on there. Any ideas?

Does the job centre have other jobs as well as those listed on their website? Anyone got any experiences of Connexions?
Any suggestions about trying to find a job another way? I look in shop windows but no luck so far.

Thank you in advance

Emma

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Just keep hammering away as you have done. The volunteer experience you have will count in your favour.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try Connexions. They will advise on your jobsearch techniques.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you broaden your horizons by getting some qualifications at college, perhaps childcare or social care?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • poker_face
    Options
    Try Connexions. They will advise on your jobsearch techniques.

Connexions will be the best route for someone your age, Job Centers unfortunately aren't much help to teenagers. Is there a Connexions in your area?
    |Credit Card Debt Free|I'll bring you flowers in the pouring rain|
    :money:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was going to suggest College but Ohreally beat me to it.
    Your experinece with your voluntary work will be a great asset in your job search. Try connexions, they are very good and just keep plugging away.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport