Tax & Survey Sites

Options
Hello,
Am quite confused and wonder if anyone knows.

1. Do I have to pay tax on my earnings from doing on-line surveys? (Sites like YouGov for eg.)
2. Do I have to pay tax on money from cash back sites? (Eg. Rpoints, Greasypalm)
3. Some of these sites like Mutualpoints for eg, combine surveys and cash-back. So do I have to pay tax on that?
4. What about sites where you don't actually earn cash, but you earn vouchers? Are shopping vouchers taxable?

The tax guides issued by the tax office don't say very much about earning money on-line. Certain things like affliate commissions you obviously have to pay tax on, but I'm not sure about the others. They're not huge sums of money, but would still like to know.

Thanks

Comments

• anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that if you actually receive cash from survey sites (eg money to your bank account or a cheque in the post) then this is income.
    If you receive any sort of vouchers (eg tesco, asda, amazon or even love2shop) then this is not income.
    Cashback from shopping, changing your energy supplier, signing up to an offer etc is not taxable as this is a promotional offer.
    Not sure about mutualpoints - does this pay out in cash or vouchers? The cashback element wouldn't count as income, surveys maybe if paid out in cash.

I've noticed some differences in terminology - the sites that pay in vouchers use the words "reward" or "incentive" - these aren't income. Others use the word "earn" - this I take to be income.

You won't be taxed on anything you receive though, so if they are taxable it'd be up to you to declare it to the tax people.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • sweetbutternut
    Options
    Hi anniecave,
    My reasoning was something like yours. I agree that paid surveys fall under the taxable category. The problem is that sometimes, the lines are blurred. For eg. sites that do BOTH surveys and cash back.
    Mutualpoints for eg, offers "rewards" and cash back (so in essence, discounts), but they pay in cash to your bank account or a cheque and they do offer "rewards points" for surveys.
  • sunshine124
    sunshine124 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    hi all,

OK so does anyone have an update on whether vouchers from survey sites are taxable?
    I would be greatful for any replies.
  • KieranB
    KieranB Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    The amount is negligible. Personally I dont see how it would be worth declaring but obviously you should have to do so.. If you did inform HMRC then you could always offset the earnings by the amount you paid for broadband, new laptop or computer and therefore have to pay no tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure