We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Stakeholder pension 40% tax rebate.

Hello there,
I am currently in a stakeholder pension plan where my company pays in 5% and I pay 5%. I understand the companies 5% tax is not my concern. I have had my tax code adjusted to suit but my calculations have discovered this is based on a 22% rebate. As a proportion of my income is taxed at 40% am I entitled to a corresponding proportion of tax relief on pension contributions at the same 40% rate? I have contacted my tax office and they were very vague in their response! This has been going on for some years now. If I am entitled some tax relief at 40% how far back can I claim for and how do I go about it?? Its better in my pocket than theirs!!

Comments

  • The payments you make to your Stakeholder pension have already received tax relief at the basic rate before you make your payments - for example for every £78.00 you pay - £100 is invested for you. The amount you areciving through your tax code is the additional tax relief die to you as your highest tax rate is 40%. As you say you have had al allowance in your code relating to this pension then you will probably have had all the tax relief die to you (assuming the allowance in your code was correct) Post your calculations - your payments and your tax allowance in your code and we will check it for you.
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,998 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Just to clarify what sarahlouise said. You pay your 5% pension contribution, and your stakeholder pension will automatically reclaim 22% tax relief for you and invest it in your fund. The other 18% of the tax relief you can claim through a self assessment form or an adjustment of your tax code.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.