We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bit of advice needed please!

Options
Hi I have been reading the forum for advice but can't find answer so far. I have worked for a company for 11 1/2 months but it looks like they are going under. I currently work full time (shared between office and home so I can be there for my school age children after school)

The question is if I leave my job (and get another) I will only be able to work part time as I doubt I will find another company that will offer the great compromise I have at the moment. Therefore I will be only earning a part time wage. If I stay til the end and get redundant I am unsure whether or what I will be able to claim benefit wise. My husband only earns about #8000 and I am the main wage earner. I feel caught in a situation that if I take another part time job my wages will fall anyway and I cannot claim any benefit but if I am made redundant not sure where I stand on the benefit front (not happened before) Has anyone else found themselves in similar waters? If so what advice would you offer.?? Thanks

PS as not been there for 2 years dont know what/if I can claim anything and company do not have to give anything as compensation if employed under 2 years ( according to internet reasearch!):confused:
Wins in 2009: 2 Lipsticks, personalised kids CD and Lewis series 3 on DVD.
Thanks to all of you wonderful people who post competitions........:T

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    What you would be entitled to on JSA depends on your Class 1 NIC contribution record from 04/06-4/08. If it is enough, you'd get contributions based JSA for 6 months. When it changes to income based after that, you will get nothing because of your o/h's income however you would qualify for mortgage insurance payments after 13 weeks. Your family would also qualify for working tax credits as well.

As regarding the redundancy, you're not legally entitled to any redundancy pay under 2 years service but the company can offer above that.
  • Bobbity123
    Options
    I am lucky and been employed for the last 5 years (different companies) so should qualify for JSA then.

I doubt my company will offer me any compensation for not working for them for 2 years as they can't afford to pay most of us now sadly. Thanks for your help....
    Wins in 2009: 2 Lipsticks, personalised kids CD and Lewis series 3 on DVD.
    Thanks to all of you wonderful people who post competitions........:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport