🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Under 16 hours rule

Options
Hi - and Good Morning!

New to this room - although I do post in others from time to time

Just been laid off work and looking thru job centre site ,not much full time work around but there are several 12 , 15 hour a week part time jobs knocking about - so was wondering what the position is with JSA -

do they suspend it all / or part or what ? - any advice would be usefull ,as I would like to keep working ,if only part time otherwise you can fall out of the loop I feel ! :o

Comments

• poker_face
    Options
    ANGSTDATA wrote: »
    Hi - and Good Morning!

New to this room - although I do post in others from time to time

Just been laid off work and looking thru job centre site ,not much full time work around but there are several 12 , 15 hour a week part time jobs knocking about - so was wondering what the position is with JSA -

do they suspend it all / or part or what ? - any advice would be usefull ,as I would like to keep working ,if only part time otherwise you can fall out of the loop I feel ! :o

You can continue to claim JSA for the days you are not working if you continue to seek further employment
    |Credit Card Debt Free|I'll bring you flowers in the pouring rain|
    :money:
  • ANGSTDATA
    Options
    Hi - thanks for your reply - So I take it thats when you go in to sign up and they ask you " have you worked any paid hours this week ?" then - but can you work 10 hours one day and 5 the next and still be paid JSA for the remaining 3 ?
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    Imho I think that so long as the hours total 15 or less then you *should* be ok
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Why not avoid the problem entirely by taking on more than one part time job?
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    If you are claiming just for yourself they take off your earnings over £5 a week, it's purely on the hours - not the number of days you work
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm confused by this. I have been offered a job doing four hours a day four days a week, so 16 hours. Are you saying I could still claim JSA as well, as long as I'm looking for another job?

I didn;t think you could if you earn more than the JSA amount (I would be earning around £7 an hour and am only entitled to basic JSa of £60.50 a week).
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Skintchick you're correct, there is a 16hr rule that income based JSA is unpayable for every week that you go over 16hrs but if you earn more than the weekly benefit +£5 then you will not get any benefit no matter how many hours you work.

If its ever likely to be under 16hrs its best to continue to sign on in order to claim free prescritptions etc although that obviously means you'll be subject to all the usual requirements
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ah, I don;t qualify for income-based anyway so I don;t think it applies to me. Still waiting for them to process my claim anyway!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • ukdickie31
    Options
    Remember also...

Benefit weeks are not Monday to Friday weeks. They depend upon the signing day.

A Monday signer has a benefit week from Tuesday to Monday.
    A Tuesday signer has a benefit week from Wednesday to Tuesday.

Etc etc

Sometimes 3 days work may cover two benefit weeks and not always break the 16 hour rule.

When Part Time work is declared to the Jobcentre, B7's are given dated for the benefit weeks. These show where the weeks fall and therefore the hours worked in the benefit weeks are easier to see.

Benefit is only reduced when payment of wages is received
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family