Woolwich / Barclays Base Rate

Options
Hi, there seems to have been a lot of confusion over what the BBBR is.

Attached to my mortgage offer when I took is out was a sheet named "Supplementary Mortgage Conditions".

Point 9 of there conditions states "Interest on tracker rate mortgages is charged at a set margin above or below or equal to the Bank of England base rate. Interest rate changes on existing tracker rate mortgages take effect from the first of the month following a change to the Bank of England base rate. All references to the Barclays Bank Base Rate in your Offer document (where the reference is to "Barclays Bank PLC's Base Rate") and KeyFacts Illustration document (where the reference is to "our Base Rate") should be taken to be references to the Bank of England Base Rate.

Surely this is as nailed on as you can get, they cannot wriggle out of that???

I am on BBBR + 0.17% and do not want to lose it!!

Any opinions???

Comments

• foreversummer
    Options
    I am quite sure they cannot riggle out of that one, you must surely by OK.

The critical point is when did you take out your mortgage? It appears that at some point they stopped referring to the BoE rate in there terms and conditions, mortgage offer, kfi etc.

It is those people who may have cause for concern although Woolwich/Barclays have said that they have no plans for the BBBR not to follow the BoE rate.

Foreversummer
  • rothers
    rothers Posts: 201 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I took the mortgage out in June 2008 although I first applied for it in Nov 2007. If the condition quoted above is attached to my offer they would not be able to change it now.........would they???
  • oidhche
    Options
    I had a conversation with the Woolwich on Friday when the further 1% cut to the base rate was announced. Although they aren't automatically passing on the cut to customers on tracker mortgages, such as myself, they will change it if people phone up and ask them to. I have cut my monthly repayment by £170 by doing this, so I would urge anyone on a tracker with Barclays or Woolwich to phone them up and ask them to cut their interest rate.

Hope this helps
  • rothers
    Options
    I think that they mean that they will alter your payments if you call them rather than pass on the 1% cut.
  • foreversummer
    Options
    I think that makes you pretty bullet-proof (you will surely have to continue to track the BoE rate).

I took my mortgage out with them in October 2008, but received my offer in July 2008. I have a page headed "Supplementary Mortgage Conditions" but it does not include the clause you have. Nowhere in my offer does it mention the BBBR following the BofE rate. So not so sure about me.

Foreversummer
  • foreversummer
    Options
    Yes you are right Rothers, the rate cut is passed on on the first of the month following the change, it is just the monthly payment that does not change - it is recalculated each September (repayment customers only).

Anyone that does not phone will not lose out over the whole term of the mortgage.

Foreversummer
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    oidhche wrote: »
    I had a conversation with the Woolwich on Friday when the further 1% cut to the base rate was announced. Although they aren't automatically passing on the cut to customers on tracker mortgages, such as myself, they will change it if people phone up and ask them to. I have cut my monthly repayment by £170 by doing this, so I would urge anyone on a tracker with Barclays or Woolwich to phone them up and ask them to cut their interest rate.

Hope this helps

This is for the woolwich repayment tracker mortgages which normally adjust once a year.

Interest only and part and part woolwich tracker mortgages are adjusted on the 1st of the following month

It is explained in the booklet sent out with your yearly mortgage statement.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • rothers
    Options
    Thanks foreversummer. They have passed on the 1% cut, hopefully they will continue to pass on further cuts. It would be bad press for them if they didn't, especially as HBOS have ignored their collar!
  • foreversummer
    Options
    Hey, just found this on the Woolwich Intermediaries website:

http://woolwich.metafaq.com/templates/woolwich/main/resultsPage

When you get there just click on it to get the answer.

No wonder my broker reassured me that the BBBR would not change. If it did, that would just about be every broker who has arranged a Woolwich Tracker mortgage pretty p***ed off!

Foreversummer
  • foreversummer
    Options
    Sorry don't understand why link does not bring up the question.

Just type "Bank of England Base Rate" into the question box and await the answer.

Foreversummer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport