What's your reason for being on SVR?

Options
Tried to word that title in the least confrontational way possible. Sorry!

Anyway, before I got a mortgage I didn't even know there was such a thing I just thought everyone moved round on deals all the time... naive I know!!

So why are YOU on the SVR? Was it forced out of circumstances or was it choice? What are your feelings about your SVR in the current climate?
Kavanne
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

Comments

• sujman
    sujman Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been on SVR for over a year now (base plus 2%). My reason was that I was looking to get an extension by cashing in on house price inceases and didnt want to tie myself into a deal before making the final desicion.

Little did I know that a year later, I've still to decide if its worth it!

That, general laziness and when working out the £1500+ fee over the course of 2/3 years, the real saving at the deals I looked at, at the time, were circa £25 per month. Whilst logic suggests you shoud take the saving, I didnt like the idea of paying so much up front. I can think of better ways to save £25 per month.

However, now, in the current climate (not that I've looked), I can't see myself finding a decent deal that has low fees and costs less than 1% over base.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No decent rates around plus I changed to being self-employed.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Options
    My fixed rate ends at the end of the month, and then I'll go onto the SVR. Wouldn't normally touch them as every other time I've come to the end of a deal, there's been a better option than the SVR.

For example 5 years ago I got a fix for 3.89% while the SVR was 5.65%. For slightly higher fees now I'd get a fix of 4.89% while the SVR is 4.75%. It just doesn't add up for me at all.

I think the current SVR is fine, and I'm hoping fixed rates come down so as I can jump on a 5 year fixed rate for around 4.5% or so,
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    My discounted deal came to an end back in may and their were no decent deals, turned out well as i'm now on Nationwides svr at %4.00. Much better than any deal i could have got back in may or even now.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Hotspur
    Hotspur Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    My tracker deal ended earlier in the year and all new deals had a big fee attached which wiped out any saving. Always a gamble and sticking to the Nationwides SVR has paid off so far. Am overpaying as well so should be mortgae free within 5 years.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm about to return to SVR after 5 years on a tracker. Typical that it runs out a bit early but there you go.

Im going to wait it out on SVR for a while and then move into a low fixed rate once they start becoming available.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cbrpaul
    cbrpaul Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    beecher wrote: »

I think the current SVR is fine, and I'm hoping fixed rates come down so as I can jump on a 5 year fixed rate for around 4.5% or so,

my thoughts exactly !!!!! :D

:beer:
  • Anastasia
    Options
    Fixed rate came to an end last year. Worked out it was cheaper to simply go onto SVR if I took into account fees for new deal.

Also, separated from OH and changed to Interest Only. Mortgage payments have reduced with every rate cut. Best thing I ever did!
  • waves117
    waves117 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    My fixed deal ended 3 months ago, and my mortgage is too small to leave my current lender as i would incur arrangement fees etc from a new lender which isnt financially worth it.
    MFW 158 - Wanna be Mortgage free in 2 years (sept 2010)
    1st Jan 2008 - Mortgage £30,478.97, Term 6yrs 9m
    2008 Total OP = £7,859. Mortgage reduced to £15,938.20, Term Reduced by 3yrs 2m to 3yrs 7m
    2009 Total OP = £11,339. Term reduced by 3yrs 7m
    :TMortgage free Dec 2009 :T
  • Adebisi
    Adebisi Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    It was the best deal around at the time (just over 3 years ago) for my circumstances glad I stayed with it now as it tracks just 1% over the BoE base rate.
    When the bloody hell is nelly coming back?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure