We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Moving from Self employment back to being employed

I am shortly going to start a new job on a full time basis. I have being self-employed for the last 18 months (paying NI contributions etc..). Will I have to notify the Inland Revenue or will they receive this information from my new employers? Is there anything I need to do?

Comments

  • You are going to have to finalise your accounts for the period of your self employment in order to ascertain how much tax you will have to pay. I would have thought a letter to your local tax office informing them of your return to PAYE would be prudent. Also you wont have a p45 to give your employer, so you will be on 'week 1 month 1' basis until your tax office send them a notice of coding.

    HTH
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • Rockee
    Rockee Posts: 217 Forumite
    Thanks for that. I was hoping to run things in parallel for a few months (keep the sole trader business until end of the financial year, as I am owned a few invoices at the end of the month etc..) Or isn't this possible?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Also you wont have a p45 to give your employer, so you will be on 'week 1 month 1' basis until your tax office send them a notice of coding.
    Unless you're continuing to do some s/e work, ask your new employer for a P46. If you tick the box which says "This is my only or main employment" you should get the right tax code immediately. But you do need to finalise your s/e accounts as imp says.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.