We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NI & Tax on two jobs....

Hi
I'm working 2 jobs at the moment, and I assume I'm paying National Insurance on both (I think I'm on emergency tax code too)

I heard somewhere that you automatically get taxted 40% on your 2nd job.... is this true?

If I am paying NI twice, is that right? If not, is there any way of claiming back any that I've already paid?

Any help appreciated

cheers

Ambla

Comments

  • No, you don't automatically pay 40% on the income you earn from your second job. You will, however, automatically pay the basic rate (22%) on your second income as your personal allowances will have been allocated to your first income. You will then pay 40% only if the income from your second job goes into the higher rate band.

    You should and will pay NIC on your income from your second job too. However, you may be due a refund if you end up paying, in total, too much NIC for the whole year, from both jobs. If you had one job paying £30k you should pay the same NIC as someone who has two jobs earning a total of £30k. NIC is earnings related, not job-related (IYSWIM).

    Regards
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    That makes sense, cheers....

    how/when would you end up paying too much NI tho?

    (....and what does IYSWIM mean please?!)
  • That makes sense, cheers....

    how/when would you end up paying too much NI tho?

    Because above a certain limit, the NIC rate drops to 1%. Your second job might take you above that limit, but as they cannot link in the earnings from your first job, they are likely to deduct the full rate of NI.

    If you do a tax return at the end of the year, it should get sorted out
    (....and what does IYSWIM mean please?!)

    sorry - it means if you see what I mean :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ahhhhh!

    Thanks for that....

    I doubt I'll graduate out of my tax band, so unlikely that I'll move out of my NI band too...

    never mind.... on emergency tax, so i'll at least be able to claim something back there!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.