'Scrabble – an easy way to win' blog discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• cliffwalker_3
    Options
    I thought that when there was a question of whether or not a valid word was being used one of the other players had to challenge it. Reference would then be made to the players' dictionary of choice - usually the one in the house. If the word was there it was accepted and the score given. In some groups the challenger was penalised if the word was in the dictionary, in others not.
  • Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some use the Official Scrabble Words books!!

Ampersand, I've pm'd you.
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought for Scrabble, the "official" dictionary was Chambers.

I always thought serious players - who have memorised all the permissible two-letter words - must lose some of the fun, though I appreciate it's probably hard not to do this if you're serious about it. (I think at one time our family played the variant that you had to know what a word meant/s, not just that it exists/ed.)

My brother is associate editor for the OED (which records more or less everything that has ever been used if it got some currency [and still has a lot of single-occurrence mostly misprints from the likes of Shakespeare and especially Spenser]), and as for "After all, if it appears in a National Newspaper it can’t be disputed can it…" - well, I don't know for Scrabble; for the OED their rule of thumb used to be that if it appeared in print, on two different occasions by two different authors (I can't remember if it had to be two different publications), then it went in; the rule being to prevent people deliberately ...

That was when he joined about three decades ago, before electronic media had taken off as much as it has now, so things have changed somewhat; also, the exact rules for "admission" aren't actually published, much like the rules that govern a website's rankings on Google, and for much the same sort of reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure