Crochet Gifts?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
6 replies 699 views
ShortieShortie Forumite
2.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone

I can't knit.I've tried on and off for years and just can't get the hang of it :o

But, I can crochet. I've only done what I think is called Granny Squares, but I make a whopper of one into a huge square blanket :rotfl: .

Does anyone know of an easy to grasp pattern to crochet a scarf please?

Also, what other things do people crochet, and would you mind sharing instructions?

Thank you!
April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250

Replies

• hi shortie have pm'd you :j
    :wink: while i knit i think

NORN IRON CLUB MEMBER NO# 304 :T
  • ShortieShortie Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks CraftFox.. I love the look and simplicity of the V-Stitch Crochet Scarf on her website! Just got to get some yarn now :D
  • angelfairyangelfairy Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i am attempting to knit my first baby a blanket at the moment. getting there very very slowly and it only involves very simple stitches.

perhaps there are some crochet blankets for bubs i should have considered?

i had started to learn to crochet but life took over and i never went very far
  • There's loads of good free resources for crochet on the web. And signing up for Ravelry (www.ravelry.com) is a must.
    Lion Brand Yarns
    is a great place to start. Loads of free baby patterns and good instructions for basic crochet. You have to register but it's free and they don't send you annoying stuff. Remember as well, you don't have to use the yarns they suggest, just something of a similar weight - change hook size to sort the gauge!
  • soblivionsoblivion Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There's 100's of free crochet patterns here

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

and here for knitting ones

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

hope it's helpful.

I'm sure you know this but american crochet terms and english terms are different. You need to be mindful of this and check which pattern instructions you are using.
  • ShortieShortie Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all, I'll have a proper look when I get home tonight.

Seeing as I learnt to crochet from my Mum, who learnt from her Mum, the terms mean nothing to me anyway and I learn new ways totally by watching / following pictures

I'm half way through a 'double crochet stitch' (whatever that means :rotfl: ) scarf at the moment and I'm really impressed with myself. I had to be daft and buy feathery wool for the first venture didn't I, but I've got the swing of finding my stiches under the mass of fluff now and am wizzing along.

If I feel brave enough I'll post a piccie of it when it's finished. Just promise not to laugh too loudly :o
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals