PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gorgonzola Piccante Cheese

I've just found out I love blue veined cheeses! The only thing is a couple of days ago I had some Gorgonzola Piccante cheese and looked at the packet today. It says the rind is inedible and I had eaten the rind, lol! I had some more tonight minus the rind but wondered why you can't eat it. I've done a google search and some people say you shouldn't eat the rind, others say you can it's just a question of taste. Does anyone know if it's safe to eat the rind? :o

Comments

• Does anyone know if it's safe to eat the rind? :o

Yes it is :D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • julieq
    julieq Posts: 2,603 Forumite
    It depends really, often the better the cheese the more dodgy eating the rind is because traditionally it's open to the elements wherever the cheese is stored and it can pick almost anything up. Commercially produced cheese made in any volume will be stored much more carefully.

I just had some lovely farmhouse made crottin style goats cheese, and there was blue fluffy mould on the rind. I wouldn't have risked that but the cheese was lovely (toasted, on a green salad with a drizzle of vinagrette).

On the other hand I like stilton crust a lot. There's probably a health and safety safe rule that you don't eat crusts, but I reckon it's probably mostly common sense. If in doubt, feed it to infants and see if they survive.
  • Thank you Penelope! I haven't suffered any side effects but because it says the rind is inedible and I quite liked it! I didn't like to waste it either.
  • Stilton was the first blue cheese I tried and loved it! I've just bought a sample of Blue Brie from M & S for 99p, they do a sample for Stilton at 99p too for those who don't know if they will like it. I haven't opened the Blue Brie yet. I guess if I'm at the cheese counter at Tescos they would cut off a bit of cheese for you to try? Or can you just order a small sample to take home?
  • Stilton was the first blue cheese I tried and loved it! I've just bought a sample of Blue Brie from M & S for 99p, they do a sample for Stilton at 99p too for those who don't know if they will like it. I haven't opened the Blue Brie yet. I guess if I'm at the cheese counter at Tescos they would cut off a bit of cheese for you to try? Or can you just order a small sample to take home?

They usuallay allow you a sample to try ;) I often ask for the cheese I want to buy, then ask for the free sample - I don't feel so cheeky then :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family