My mum and I go to the same dentist. Me privately, her on the NHS

Options

For a check up and filling:

For me, the dentist did the check-up on one day and the filling another day, charging two fees.

For my mum, the dentist did the check-up and offered to do the filling on the same visit. Due to the NHS funding structure, he would only have got one fee whether he did it there and then or on a separate day.

Can any conclusions be drawn from this? Do you have any similar experiences?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can any conclusions be drawn from this?

Her filling was smaller than yours?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    Options
    For a check up and filling:

For me, the dentist did the check-up on one day and the filling another day, charging two fees.

For my mum, the dentist did the check-up and offered to do the filling on the same visit. Due to the NHS funding structure, he would only have got one fee whether he did it there and then or on a separate day.

Can any conclusions be drawn from this? Do you have any similar experiences?

I've had exactly the same experience only it was me both times, I went back to NHS when I was pregnant to get the free treatment and didn't bother going back to private, also when private the dentist would do scale and polish in same app as a check up but on NHS S&P was done by hygienist on separate app
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can any conclusions be drawn from this?

Errr, if your mum had had 2 appointments he would only have been able to claim one back from NHS, so would have been out of pocket for the second appointment?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • p1an0player
    p1an0player Posts: 1,196 Forumite
    Options
    Errr, if your mum had had 2 appointments he would only have been able to claim one back from NHS, so would have been out of pocket for the second appointment?
    So do you think I was effectively overcharged?
  • coldstreamalways
    Options
    No, I think you pay privately. On the NHS system, the dentist would get about £43 no matter how many visits your mum makes so he will try to squeeze as much work in as possible, (one reason I left the NHS-the quality of work you can do is so limited by time). For you, he charges one fee for the exam and another fee for the filling. I'm sure if you asked him he would have squeezed the filling in that appointment, you would still have had to pay for both but would have got a "quicker" filling.

It's simple economics.......
  • p1an0player
    Options
    I think I'd rather he "squeezed" in the filling there and then rather than have to get more time off work another day

Are you suggesting that a quick filling might be of lower quality than a leisurely filling?
  • coldstreamalways
    Options
    Gosh, you do have a pretty accusatory tone. Maybe this is something you should discuss with your dentist.
  • breezerockz
    breezerockz Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    Options
    i was private at a nearby dentist, i asked specifically to get one rotten tooth removed, one filled and another filled( turned out need root canal) in one appointment dentist said wouldnt normally numb all three dif areas in one go, but would,but i knew what i needed/wanted done, so could arrange the one appointment with him. (i had to go back for the rc),,
    THANKS to everyone who posts competitions. you are all :A.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I'd rather he "squeezed" in the filling there and then rather than have to get more time off work another day

Are you suggesting that a quick filling might be of lower quality than a leisurely filling?

I can certainly do a filling better if I take my time over it, than if I rush at it.

But - there are also certain fillings I can do well very quickly.

I don't like the conflict of having NHS patients and private ones. I just got out of doing NHS stuff altogether when I felt I couldn't spend the time necessary to do a decent job.

That was 10 years ago though.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options

Your not the only two patients in the practice though are you? In between patients the surgery and equipment also has to be cleaned and sterilized, if he'd have done your filling there and then would he have had enough handpeices for the next patient that was ALREADY booked in for a filling?

Theres also only so much time in a day, you cant squeeze everyone in and do there treatment in one visit or the dentist and his/her team would be there all night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure