Mortgage advice for FTB

Options
My partner and I are first time buyers looking to buy within the next year or so. We have a deposit of approx 30% for the price range we are looking at. My partner is 45 and therefore will have retired before the end of a 25 year mortgage term. I am quite a bit younger and will still be working. Will this effect our ability to get a mortgage based on our combined salary?
Using our combined salaries we would want to borrow approx 2.5 x income. If only my salary was used we would be looking at about 4 x but if this was the case we would probably lower our price range.

Comments

• _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you just get a mortgage term of less than 25 years?
  • russet
    russet Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Yes that would be a possibility but obviously it would increase our monthly repayments. Is this our only option or would we be able to go for a 25 year term if we wanted to?
  • damanpunk
    Options
    russet wrote: »
    My partner and I are first time buyers looking to buy within the next year or so. We have a deposit of approx 30% for the price range we are looking at. My partner is 45 and therefore will have retired before the end of a 25 year mortgage term. I am quite a bit younger and will still be working. Will this effect our ability to get a mortgage based on our combined salary?
    Using our combined salaries we would want to borrow approx 2.5 x income. If only my salary was used we would be looking at about 4 x but if this was the case we would probably lower our price range.

Why not go interest only, 20 year term and overpay monthly so its effectively repayment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure