HELP - Bailiffs letter

Options
Hi, if anyone on here can advise what I should do next I will be very grateful.

In Feb 06 I split with my long term pertner and he moved out. I made a claim for council tax benefit and haven't had to pay any council tax since then.

This morning with my post I recieved a letter from Jacobs Bailiffs stating that I have refused to pay them £257.35 and have ignored all previous communication. It said this letter was a final notice before removal action was taken.
I am very confused, as I have NEVER had any other letters from this company at all.

I rang them and was told that the debt is for Council tax from 1st April 2005-3rd Feb 2006. I was also told that I have previously been sent 3 letters from the bailiffs company. I haven't.
I told them that I didn't understand what was going on as since I split with my ex in Feb 06, I haven't recieved one single letter from the council stating that I owe them any money, and as far as I am aware, I do not owe them anything. The lady on the phone said she'd put a note on my file saying that I dispute the claim and that I need to ring the council.

When I was with my partner we did have council tax arrears and were usually a bit behind. In the spring after he left I did pay a bailiff over £200 which from what I can remember was for 2005. Unfortunatly I have no record of ever having made this payment and cannot remember the name of the company, although I know it was a different one to the one who has written to me today.

So, what do I do ?? If i owe this money, why have I never recived any letters from Birmingham City council asking for it ???? Also why are the baliffs claiming to have sent me 3 other letters when I know I haven't had any ??

It has taken me so long to get back on my feet since the split and things were finaly back to some sort of normality and now this has happened and I feel so upset.

As i said, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• bargainbetty
    Options
    OK, first thing to do is contact the council and ask for details of your account. Explain the situation and advise them that you have not received any communications from them and need to have it all put in writing.

Once you have those details, you can write to the baliffs (do not sign the letter) asking them for copies of all the correspondence they claim to ave sent regarding the matter, and a full breakdown of the charges.

Once you know what you are facing, you'll be in a better position to deal with them.

I think they cannot remove anything until a court judgement is made. Just don't call them, refuse to deal with them except in writing, and don't open the door if they do show up.

Good luck x
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pm HERBIE21 FOR ADVICE
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Herbie21
    Herbie21 Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    If Jacobs have been given this debt then there MUST be a Liability Order in place.

It is VITAL that you contact the council to get details of this asap.

Last year approx: 5 bailiff firms went bust so it is possible that payment MAY have been made to one of them. However the other thing to be aware of is that a bailiff can legally deduct his fees BEFORE paying anything to the local authority.

Your £200 payment may well have covered JUST his fees!!

The council will should be able to shed light on this.

Most bailiff companies know that they will not be granted access into your home so instead are putting a levy on a vehicle outside. ALWAYS make sure that you remove your car from your home. In addition....BEFORE......a bailiff has out a levy on any items you can...sell....transfer...hide....or evev give away ANY ITEM.

Finally, I am surprised at the part about sending letters becuase a bailiff co CANNOT charge a letter fee when collecting council tax so they would have INSTEAD sent a bailiff to your home!!!
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Herbie21 wrote: »

Finally, I am surprised at the part about sending letters becuase a bailiff co CANNOT charge a letter fee when collecting council tax so they would have INSTEAD sent a bailiff to your home!!!

I suspect that's first and second attendance letter fees for letters that never quite made it into the letterbox. You and I both know that happens, right?
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All the pertinent advice has been offered as far as I can see, so I'll just add to keep a level head, don't panic and make sure you take copies of all letters, notes of who you speak to (if phoning etc.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure