We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Arrangement Fees

Options
Mortgage Arrangement Fees are typically £999 which in no way represents the cost to the Bank/Building Society of setting up the mortgage. As such, there should be a method of reclaiming. IS THERE?
Warren

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mortgage Arrangement Fees are typically £999 which in no way represents the cost to the Bank/Building Society of setting up the mortgage.

Evidence of that please?
    As such, there should be a method of reclaiming.

Why?
    IS THERE?

No there isnt.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Troll or someone on the reclaiming train - "all aboard ladies and gents - companies shouldn't be able to profit on anything! All fees are the work of Satan!"
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    _Andy_ wrote: »
    All fees are the work of Satan!"

Indeed, the lenders should be paying the borrowers a fee to take out one of their mortgages :rolleyes:
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • luckyfool
    luckyfool Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    Options
    Mortgage Arrangement Fees are typically £999 which in no way represents the cost to the Bank/Building Society of setting up the mortgage. As such, there should be a method of reclaiming. IS THERE?
    Warren

Nice one . . . you should do stand up.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    luckyfool wrote: »
    Nice one . . . you should do stand up.

Next thread on the mortgage board

"I say I say I say - my dog's got no nose.."
  • Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    anyone who uses their whole name is always going to be trouble.

Thanks

Wutang Jones
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Warren
    The simplest way of avoiding paying these high fees is to not borrow money from them.

Generally the higher the fee the lower the interest rate on offer. At the end of the day the total repayments (including set up fees) you make over a defined period will not differ significantly from one mortgage lender to another.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Squish_21
    Options
    The arrangement fees annoy me but hey what can do it often leads to a better deal!
    Squish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport