We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice - interest only mortgage - overpay or save?

Options
Hi

I'm on a great tracker interest-only mortgage at the moment, and wanted advice on the best thing to do now that the rates are down. I treat my i-only mortgage like a repayment one - overpaying when possible.

My main question, is should I overpay more now (paying £900, mortgage around £460), or should I overpay less and save some in savings account or something so I have cash set aside for rainy days (e.g. pay £600 to mortgage, save £300 in high interest savings?). I'm just not sure if you should always try get as much capital paid off, or whether it's actually more intelligent to keep money when you can, and then pay off at other times when you don't need the cash? I have no other debts and not struggling at all - but I would like to rent the house out in the nearish future too.

Any comments or advice?

Many thanks,
Bruce

Comments

• mikthe20
    Options
    What's the point in overpaying an IO mortgage? You don't pay ANY capital with an IO mortgage!
  • paulfaz
    Options
    mikthe20 wrote: »
    What's the point in overpaying an IO mortgage? You don't pay ANY capital with an IO mortgage!

eh????? :confused:
  • debsy72
    Options
    I have an interest only mortgage with Britannia and it is my understanding (after confirming with them) that after you have paid your interest payment for the month any overpayment gets deducted from the capital.

I also know this because I just got a mortgage balance ready to change when my rate ends and we have reduced the capital by £2523.67 since 31st Dec 2007.

What gave you the idea that an overpayment doesn't pay off capital?

Deb
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Yes, I dont quite follow either. You can pay a lump sum off Id have thought but as you arent paying any of the capital back with your payments ..........................? Great it you can do it, just never heard of it
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    If you overpay the mortgage you make a return equivalent to the interest rate payable on the mortgage.

So compare that return with what you can get in a savings account.Bear in mind that unless the money is in an ISA, savings interest is taxable while overpaying the mortgage is not.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Very interesting people - thanks for that info.
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    How do you plan to pay back the capital owed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure