We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does mortgage overpayment count as savings for benefit purposes?

Options
Currently overpay £300 a month and have about 30k 'overpayed' on our mortgage. Just a standard Discount tracker (yay!) but we overpay when we renew. On the statement it doesn't specify that we have overpayed so when I lose my job in a couple of weeks (Possibly) do I have to declare it???
We only have about 3k in the bank - all our ISAS were sold in Dec and put into the mortgage so in effect we have 'no' savings. Not trying to fiddle, just being prepared for the uncharted new world of benefits. :confused:

Comments

• madison's_mum
    Options
    Hi, not sure on the answer re the over payment but the savings limit for benefits is usually £16k however our local council only requests bank statements as far as know as proof of savings. You wouldnt be eligible fo rhousing benefit as you have a mortgage but you could possibly claim mortgage payment interest only for around 6 months i think. If you have been working and making NIC's you would be able to claim contribution based JSA for 6 months as that is the only criteria for claiming it and you can get that even if your partner has a full time job. This link may be useful http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/index.htm
    Madison's mum

Debt at its highest-£17,000
    Debt now £0
    Debt free date 1st August 2009!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business