🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Base rates

Options
The current financial crisis makes no sense at all to me. 3 months ago everyone was talking about how high interest rates were (BR around 5%) and now repossessions are rising fast with BR dropping monthly. With the current borrowing plans that the government is planning to boost spending, surely all they are doing is delaying the inevitable with future significantly higher interest rates and this will coincide with higher taxes for all to pay for the current borrowing. We could be talking total collapse of the housing market if rates even go back to historical averages.

Look at the history of bank base rates here:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/rates/baserate.pdf

For those pondering on the FR or tracker question, having a tracker at most times since 1970 would have been expensive to say the least. 1979 stands out with 17%:eek: . Followed by 15.12% in 1981 and 14.78% in 1989. (I remember that one well) I think the reality of inflated house prices is starting to sink in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport