🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

trying to get off a joint mortgage

Options
Hi all, bit of advice please?

Me and partner split up, he wants house, I dont, hsbc say they wont let him take the house solely on, I want out.

Is it worth pleading my case to hsbc, saying im no longer living there, and I want out, or will it just not make any difference?

Its about 90% LTV at present.

I just feel so stuck - he does not want to sell under any circumstances (he put money into house, so means he would have lost the cash, or most of it) and wants me to stay on the mortgage and reasses in about a year - Im so confused, is this a wise move? could we have a contract drawn up saying im not liable (my instincts tell me no on this one)

Thanks all

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    -the housing market may well not pick up for 2-3 years
    -is he likely to be earn much more in a few months... sufficient to remortgage on his salary only
    - can his parents / family act as guarantors?

if you don't get out now you may well be stuck for several years ...

better to bite the bullet and force the issue... every month is a lower price.
  • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Options
    norange duck, the reason why the lender will not allow your ex to take on the property solely, is mainly because it is not affordable for him to do so.

Unless one of you can do this under the strict criteria you have the option to sell or to keep in touch.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport