🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hsbc - Svr ?

Options
How do I find out HSBC's current SVR? Do I have to phone them? Are they required to 'advertise' it anywhere, ie on their website - as I can't seem to find it anywhere?

Comments

• fubar4164
    Options
    Think it's 6.25%. They haven't changed it since the rate cut.
  • Essenchill
    Essenchill Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks fubar, I didn't think they had changed it yet, was wondering where I keep an eye on it, as I can't seem to find details anywhere confirming 6.25% (though I do think that is right).
  • john_boot
    Options
    they put their rates on their website under the mortgages tab....

they havent changed their rates yet, but are due to after 2nd December.

They do keep their most current rates on the site
    Nov '08 - Total debt £31,861
    Credit Card1 - £6270, Credit Card 2 - £4300, Loan 1 - £1215, secured Loan 2 £13000, loan 3 £7075
    Long haul DFW #153
  • indig
    indig Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    HSBC has announced that it is reducing its standard variable rate (SVR) by 0.81 percentage points from December 5, lowering it from 6.25 per cent to 5.44 per cent. First Direct, the online-only bank owned by HSBC, will also cut its SVR by 0.81 per cent, to 4.69 per cent.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Essenchill wrote: »
    How do I find out HSBC's current SVR? Do I have to phone them? Are they required to 'advertise' it anywhere, ie on their website - as I can't seem to find it anywhere?

Depends how old your mortgage is - older ones had a guarantee built in whereby it will never be more than 1% above BOE base.
  • Essenchill
    Options
    john_boot wrote: »
    they put their rates on their website under the mortgages tab....

they havent changed their rates yet, but are due to after 2nd December.

They do keep their most current rates on the site

I'm sorry, but where under the mortgages tab? I have had another look just now, can you direct me to where under the mortgages tab I find the SVR detailed?
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    Normally if you look at a fixed rate deal, it says the rate you pay after the expiry of a fixed rate is the HSBC variable rate and it tells you what that rate is. Perhaps not the most straight forward way to find it, but it works for me!
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Options
    Actually 5.48% at the moment. Old CAT standard rate will be 4.00%.

Guideline. Any rates which were to after 2006 with HSBC will be at 5.48%.
    Any old CAT Standard variable rates will be at 4.00%.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,102 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HSBC have gone from having historically competitive mortgage standard variable rate to one of the highest having only passed on 81 basis points of the combined 200 basis points cut. As this is how they treat their loyal customers, costing them thousands of pounds a year on average I would recommend not taking any financial products from them or First Direct if at all possible.
    I think....
  • Essenchill
    Options
    Normally if you look at a fixed rate deal, it says the rate you pay after the expiry of a fixed rate is the HSBC variable rate and it tells you what that rate is. Perhaps not the most straight forward way to find it, but it works for me!

Many thanks Trying to be good - that makes sense is very helpful.

I'm not looking at products as such, which seems to be what most people have assumed, I am just comparing SVR and couldn't find HSBCs...

I thought banks would have to publish them, and was just looking for the easiest way to find them. This method, as you say is not perhaps the most straightforward, but it works!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport