We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My mortgage and relocating abroad

Options
I am relocating abroad temporarily where I have found a good job opportunity. I am planning to let my flat while abroad but my mortgage lender only allows me to do this on a short term basis (maximum a year). They told me I should arrange a buy to let mortgage but they do not have any buy to let product at present. Shopping around has been difficult as lenders are not happy to give a buy to let mortgage if I am going to be working abroad. What can I do??? I do not want to sell my flat as I am planning to get back to the UK, but it may take few years before it happens! Any suggestions??

Many thanks

Peter44
:confused:

Comments

• JayZed
    JayZed Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand why lenders are worried about you working abroad. It's not an uncommon situation, and I know many people who've done this.

Maybe you should get consent to let for a year from your current lender, and then look around for a BTL mortgage. By that time you will (hopefully) be able to show a track record of rent received covering the mortgage.

Or you could just do what I did, and not tell your lender (but make sure that you arrange appropriate insurance).
  • Bromley86
    Bromley86 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose the logic is that he'll have to pay rent/mortgage in the new country, so his UK mortgage will be covered by rental income. That's a higher risk to the bank than an owner-occupier paying from salary.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,227 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Owners abroad are harder to chase than those with a UK address.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Peter44
    Options
    Thanks JayZed!
    I have considered not telling the lender as suggested by some estate agents but go scared when I read the terms and conditions from the lender saying that if they find out I am letting the property without their knowlegde they will take court action and could even repossess my flat!
    Thanks again.
    Peter44
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    There are lenders that will offer you a residential mortgage, if it is your intention to return back to the UK, or if you are becoming an ex-pat as it were.

It all depends on the figures and your personal circumstances as to whether this would work as opposed to a BTL
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • polo2000w
    Options
    which lender are you with?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills