Nationwide Tracker - incorrect new payment?

Options
I received the "notice of mortgage rate change" from the Nationwide today and was surprised the repayment had reduced by so little - given the new rate was 3.33% down from 4.83%.

Checking the previous rates and payments and calculating (literally) on the back of the envelope, I'd say the payment is not based on the 3.33% rate shown. At a guess it could be 3.83%.

Has anyone else been surprised that their payment has gone down by so little?

Comments

• beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Options
    If you post details of your mortgage and length of term, someone will be able to check the figures for you.
  • sportbeth
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the letter from the Nationwide. Good to see they're getting round to it. Will double check the figures when they come through though
  • luckyfool
    luckyfool Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    Options
    If your mortgage is capital and interest you may be surprised at at how little the repayment drops.
  • caldimerda
    Options
    Well, hoping to avoid scrutiny of my math - but since you ask:
    I have just under 24 years of a 25 year repayment mortgage - a two year tracker from Nationwide, at (now) 3.33%. Outstanding capital is 89200.
    Payment this month was 735 @ 4.83%, indicated payment next month is 668 @ 3.33%.
    I based my calculation on a fixed repayment amount and a variable interest payment - and that assumption has been good for all previous adjustments.
  • beecher
    Options
    I don't understand. Your mortgage would have to be over £120,000 to require paying back £735 over 25 years at 4.83%. Unless I've misread.
  • caldimerda
    Options
    Many apologies - that term should be just under 14 years, not 24. Forgot I knocked 10 years off when I last remortgaged.
  • caldimerda
    Options
    I guess I should have thought this through a little better. Might it be that for some reason (eg. the outstanding term has last month reduced by 1 year, or outstanding loan value dropped below a threshold value - 90K) now the Nationwide have upped the repayment component of the monthly amount?
  • beecher
    Options
    Your outstanding term won't have dropped as far as the payments are concerned - were you on a 15 year term when you last remortgaged? You'll stay on that as far as calculations are concerned until you next remortgage/get a new deal. Same goes for your outstanding loan - the calculations use the outstanding amount as of the time of your last remortgage, not the balance as it goes down.

Given those figures, you'd be paying about £665/month at 3.33% so it sounds about right.
  • nick1977
    nick1977 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Looks about right to me.
    Try entering your figures in here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7042204.stm
    £5850 in the rainy day fund - target £9000
    £575 in OH 40th BDay Account - target £5000 by April 2013 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories